Those rare HO train cars.

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
For years I have see and heard people talk about rare cars. Well B&O #62 and New Haven #60 are 2 very rare Locomotivrs. I know of no one else hsving them. I still haven't seen another one of either of these two. That rare word has been used speaking of a particular item at train hows and 2 or 3 other dealers will be selling one. I am 77 and I haven'y seen either one of that pair ever befroe. IMG_5320.JPGIMG_5321.JPG

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That's a real beauty. Screws to hold the drive arms on instead of rivets, that's quality! :)

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
Hey Zathros! Nice to hear from you again. I'm still into Vintage HO trains, The construction used makes them easy to repart or replace parts.
frank

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Hey Frank!! You are an inspiration with your knowledge, and the pictures you share of these trains. These are great, Lord knows, you come across one of these beauties at a Tag Sale, you know to buy it, to add to ones collection. Your posts make good reference guides. Great to read your posts, as always. ;)

Reactions: toptrain1

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
Another rare old train I have is a set from 1955. It was made by Hobbyline under contract and not a cataloged set, The set is a B&O passenger set, It was made for Lloyd's hobby shop of Baltimore Md. HObbyline marked the set box set #462. It was not cataloged or ever retailed by HObbyline.
frank

IMG_6917 - Copy.JPGIMG_6918 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: zathros

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That's a really well made set. The quality is very apparent. :)

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
Zarthros and everyone else out there on the Zelot site, for a train set that was made in late 1955 and it is 2023. That is 68 years old. In checking the set all that is missing is the very old tube of glue, 2 couplers, the Atlas snap track, and a HObbyline info flier on the set. I have a lot of atlas track. The box though showing its age did what it was designed to do. Keep the trains inside in good condition and that was done! This is next to the rarest set HObbyline made. The Lloyds B&O freight set is rarer because the passenger set was more popular and most likely sold more set. Hobbyline never released the number of sets made, and Lloyds never said anything. That alone is the reason 2 or three passenger sets seem to come up for sale each year on Ebay or other auctions. I have never seem any of Lloyd's B&O freight set. Though through the years I have seen 15 to 20 of L'loyd's passenger sets. Making the boxed freight set now almost impossible to find and rarer. The 2 loco and the 4-passenger car were only in this set. I dont know of the passenger set locos, and cars being sold separately. The freight set on the other hand wasn't as popular. freight cars in it were not rare but in other sets and sold separately. Even if the passenger-set owner of this set ran the set and after its use would be done and the cars returned to the set box and storage, wherever he stored his sets. I have never seen a boxed Lloyd's HObbyline B&O 7 car freight set, EVER. No one in the last 10 years involved in this discussion here, or and other online sits I have found has either. If you dont see the freight-set and once in awhile see the passenger set, the freight sets never seen is the rarer one.
frank

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Funny how some of the unpopular at the time sets become rare favorites. I really like that Hobbyline passenger train set a lot. ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Funny how some of the unpopular at the time sets become rare favorites. I really like that Hobbyline passenger train set a lot. ;)
Sometimes the items are ahead of their time. I see that with Star Wars figures. Yarna for example was a heavy peg warmer (even I found her at a shop in the Netherlands in 2015!) but when all these great Jabba related playsets arrived everyone needed her for display. :)

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
What 's rare about what is in this post is not a singular train or item of rare vintage. It is the fact that HObbyline made this locomotive' the Fairbanks Morris H12-44 in 7 different road names. I have all seven and will share them here with you now. I also custom painted 2 others and found a third at a train show. This third one is a different paint scheme of one of HObbylines produced road names. It'll be obvious to the viewer of this post.
First a photo of the 7 different locos of the same type, the FM H12-44.
In1953 the HObbyline road name #1000 was use along with the PRR #1000B for the first two released. In 1954 a Union Pacific road-name #1050 was added. In 1955 The C&O #1080, Santa Fe #1070, and Lehigh Valley #1060 were added. In 1956 the B&O #1020 was added. These 7 were all the HObbyline road names used.
first photo of the 7 different paint SheemsIMG_7440.JPG.

Last edited: