Thomas the engine!

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Hi all,
I was just wondering if anyone knew of someone who modeled the island of sodor in any guage. Im looking for track plans or maps that would be useful if one wanted to model the island. Ive searched hi and lo and cant even find out who the modelers are that did all the modeling for the tv show. Thanks in advance guys.

77Railer

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
There was no specific layout for the television show. Most of the sets were temporary. There was an article on the making of Thomas in Model Railroader magazine a few years ago. I do not recall what issue it was.

Have you looked at the official Thomas site www.thomasthetankengine.com ?

There is a general view of the "island" with some track layout suggested in the intro. There may be a few more links.
Eric

neilmunck

Feb 18, 2004
Glasgow, UK
www.gmts.org.uk
My granddad had a book that was published a while ago (probably a decade or more) that was a collection of all the Thomas the Tank books. It was printed in a large format (coffee table size) but the pages of the original books were reproduced inside.

At the front of the book was an introduction and a full page map of the island with the railway lines shown on it.

If you found a copy of that you would have the info.

hope that helps
Neil

neilmunck

Feb 18, 2004
Glasgow, UK
www.gmts.org.uk
hey that's quite good. It's not a colourful as the one in the book but it is the same otherwise. I was reading the key and would like to point out that the island of sodor isn't in the Pacific Ocean though!!!!

zerosurfer

Jan 19, 2008
You could try Learning Curve: Imaginative, Smart, and Inspiring they have some wooden layouts that match the stories. I'm trying to work on something similar for my nephew, he currently has the tomy plastic track set, but I'm going to be getting him the hornby one soon. Glad to see I'm not the only one who's had this idea.

I found these other maps by browsing google, but need to decipher them, the main hill is 2000ft, so scaling this down is a nightmare.

Hope these help you out. The other thing I fiund out was the TV series was done in HO scale.

Attachments

• twrs_layout_around_sodor.jpg
    twrs_layout_around_sodor.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 10
  • map-1959-sodor-clayh.jpg
    map-1959-sodor-clayh.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 15
  • map-1992-sodor-big.jpg
    map-1992-sodor-big.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 15

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Thomas Modeler
Sep 30, 2008
You can also find the maps there. I am building a Sodor-based home layout in HO. When I'm grown up and have the space and money, I'll model the entire island, according to the books.