Thinning Floquil

hickstmj

Marcie
Jan 28, 2008
Florida Panhandle
I have some Floquil paints that are at least 10 years old. Can anybody tell me what I can thin them with for aribrushing? And what I should clean the aribrush with after using them?

Thanks for any guidance.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
DioSol

Marcie:
The original Floquil had its own thinner called DioSol. I think the formula has been changed, but they dropped all the colours I need about 30 years ago. I still have a big bottle of the stuff. Diosol is the liquid that eats into plastic models.
The original Floquil is super stuff for metal surfaces and works well on wood.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I have used lacquer thinner to thin Floquil for almost 50 years. It's essentially the same as Diosol, except a lot cheaper. It's also great for regular ScaleCoat, Dullcote and Glosscote, Pactra, Testors, and Humbrol enamels, and SMP Accupaints. I also use it to clean my airbrush and regular paint brushes. As David notes, it does "attack" plastic, but properly applied on styrene with an airbrush, it works fine. That plastic attacking property is useful, too, as it makes an excellent solvent cement for styrene.
I buy mine in gallon cans, then decant it into smaller metal or glass containers, depending on its intended use. For styrene cement, I use it from an old Testors cement bottle, with a brush in the cap. For really fine work, a small, good quality paint brush works well. For larger gluing projects, I use it from a quart can, applied with a 1" brush.
No matter whether you use Diosol or lacquer thinner, work in a well-ventilated area (and preferably use a spray booth vented to the outdoors when painting) and definitely wear a two-stage respirator.

Wayne