"The Original" Kittom Lumber Co.

Discussion in 'Logging, Mining and Industrial Railroads' started by Doctor G, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Thanks Bill. That is a good idea. tom
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    zathros likes this.
  2. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

It was finally time to start some colors on the big chunk of blue foam that is the mini logging layout.

I started with the base 3 inches done up in black. It does pick up the black in the electrical cabinet and will make a good starting point for the base of the river and creeks.

[​IMG]

Next up was to do the cut away edges of the layout. Grays browns and blacks will be a recurrent theme in the wintertime scenery so I thought I would use them here. Black again is the base, gray is a stylistic representation of the limestone and the brown is a representative of the sandstone caps in these parts of the Southern Appalachians.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking. All input, critiques, etc appreciated.

Doc Tom
    zathros likes this.
  3. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

While not as glamorous as painting scenery, electrical wiring for the mini layout continues at a steady pace.

In the center of the layout, terminal strips are installed and will send DCC power wires and accessory wires (lighting, sound effects etc.) to the electrical cabinet below.

[​IMG]

The track wiring and leads to the accessories will connect to these terminal strips.

All the wiring will be hidden when the layout is fully assembled.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom
    zathros likes this.
  4. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator

This looks like the making of a very nice layout! :)
  5. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Thanks Z man. Appreciate the feedback. Tom
  6. Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson Well-Known Member

image.jpeg Tom, on the trail from the dock to the cabin I keep finding these dropped pieces of limb. My guess is hickory. Most of these are way too big for HO, but would be good in O scale. I will eventually need considerable logs, but your need will be more emidiate, so I'm thinking I might set every other log aside for you. Are you thinking 20 foot logs, (you know I am). If so I'll cut them between 21 and 22 feet long, so the mill could trim off minor end checking, and still sell a 20 ft board.

Are you going to model any of the mill, or just a log dump?

Nelson
  7. zathros

Hey, if you guys are building full size trains, we'll need a new section!! :)
  8. Bill Nelson

My buddy Rick Perry in Hurtsbourough Alabama does 1:1 3 foot gauge in his yard. He lives in an old RR station. He has always been just a little farther around the bend than I am; and that is scary indeed.
  9. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the offer of the wood Bill. I just purchased and received some of the of the Wiseman/Yorke On30 logging flats.

[​IMG]

These are 18 foot flat cars so my logs will be cut to 18 feet.
    Not enough room on the mini to do justice to a sawmill and will only model the log dump on the "valley" side of the layout.

Thanks for helping out yer loggin buddy.

Tom
  10. zathros

Say what!!!! Is this what your talking about (my train knowledge is nil):

Say what.jpg
  11. Bill Nelson

1:1 is having real tains in his back yard. Rick has a working 3 foot gauge plymouth gas mechanical switcher in his yard. I should have had a comma in there in front of the 3.
    Gandolf50 likes this.
  12. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

I took a 12 day break from construction on the mini layout as we had two very special house guests. Father Emery Menard and Father Andre Augustin from our "twinned" St Jules Parish and Clinic in Haiti.

[​IMG]

Of course, we did have some fun running my other mini layout "Ti Neg La" an On30 sugar cane hauler set in 1920 Haiti.

Here is the site of the Haiti train if you are interested.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22912

After a very enjoyable visit I had some time to venture back to the hills of Southern Kentucky and Northern Tennessee.

[​IMG]

While I was itching to get in to more painting and scenery I went back to the mundane , but important task of wiring the layout.

Here on the inside of the lower electrical cabinet I wired a nice four pin connector to the leads that will bring power to the track and the juice for electrical accessories on the layout.

[​IMG]

After splicing I had a cable and connector that would allow the layout to be removed from the electrical cabinet base and allow for portability.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again for looking. Doc Tom
    zathros likes this.
  13. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Okay. Time for the fun stuff. Let's do some rock painting.

But first, a disclaimer. This is the first time for me to use spray paint in coloring scenery.

As I mentioned at the beginning of the story I wanted to experiment with all new scenery
    techniques on this mini layout. I learned about painting foam from this nice Internet video and thought I would give it a whirl.

As I learned, you have to use spray paint that is compatible with Styrofoam or so called "craft foam."

So I went to Hobby Lobby to get craft spray paint. I did have an anal sphincter tightening
    moment when the nice clerk at Hobby Lobby said, “you should never use spray paint on
    Styrofoam”.......... Even though it said it could be used on the can.

[​IMG]

So I use an old modeler’s trick and experimented on a piece of scrap foam first. As you can see in the lower part of the pictures. It did not devolve into a blue blob so I knew I could proceed.

[​IMG]

The first step is to spray on Black pigment. I elected to use Woodland Scenics Black pigment.

[​IMG]

I mixed it with a little water and dish washing detergent and sprayed it on in the areas of
    the mini that were meant to represent rocks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After letting it dry overnight it was time to get out the "craft foam safe" spray paint and
    paint the rocks. Interestingly, a variety of colors, including yellow, were used to paint the
    rocks. Some of the spray paint I used also had texture that gave the model a crumbling
    rock appearance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am happy to report that the blue foam did not dissolve and I think I have a fair
    representation of Sandstone and Limestone.

Let me know what you think. Doc Tom
    [​IMG]
    zathros likes this.
  14. zathros

[​IMG]

I love this pic, fellow brothers in Christ! :)
    Gandolf50 likes this.
  15. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Thanks Zathros. It is amazing their spirit, given all they put up with in the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere (per capita of about $350 a year).

You can see a chapel (blue and white with steel roof) in the lower left hand corner of the photo above. It is actually one of 6 chapels- St Paul's that Father Andre says Mass in in the very rural countryside. He had sent me pictures and I just had to model it.:yesyes:

Doc Tom
    zathros likes this.
  16. zathros

You have done them great service. My how the poorest endure.
  17. Gandolf50

Gandolf50 Researcher of obscure between war vehicles... Moderator

Me TOO!! and I LOVE this lay-out!!

...PS ...The current build is looking Great also!!
    zathros likes this.
  18. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Thank you sir for the kind words. Doc Tom
  19. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Time for a little more color. The hills around here, as I noted earlier, are composed of limestone capped by sandstone.

[​IMG]

It was time to bring some color to the sandstone I had carved from the blue foam. I dry brushed on umber,a variety of browns, orange and white.This was all blended by an India ink wash to try and represent sandstone rocks and ledges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tan brown areas on the layout are where "the forest floor" will be affixed later.

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think.

In a few days I'll start working on some highlights on the limestone.

[​IMG]
    zathros likes this.
  20. zathros

I just noticed the link to the "Railroad Forum". I didn't know what that was. I really appreciate that you respond to the people on this forum. I had a guy who would just copy and paste his threads all over the place, and never interacted with anyone here. I asked him 3 questions in the thread. I then sent him a P.M. and asked him why did he not reply to my queries, or anyone elses. He said he was just interested in showing his work. I deleted him, and every picture he posted.

By the way, it seems like you're going to be the go to guy for rock making, for dioramas, these are coming out great! :)