The Mad Max Quaternary!

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Well, believe it or not, but this project is actually still on the go!!!!
Life in general is getting in the way of modelling at the moment, but I am still at it when I can.

So, here we go with quartern three.

The Standard Yellow Interceptor.

The standard Interceptor is the first car with which we meet Max in the first movie Mad Max.
This is Max's own car, which he shares with his partner 'The Dark One', even though his partner is never seen in the movie and is only mentioned fleetingly in the script.

The model of the Interceptor is exactly the same model as the Big Bopper, albeit with a different colour scheme and different police lights.

DSC_0455.JPG
DSC_0450.JPG

Instead of building the body shell first and then make each sub-assembly and attaching it to the body shell as I go along, I opted to build and complete all the sub-assemblies first, ready for attachment to the body shell.
This has taken time, but all the sub-assemblies are now complete.

All the parts ready.....

DSC_0473.JPG DSC_0479.JPG DSC_0483.JPG DSC_0486.JPG DSC_0481.JPG DSC_0482.JPG DSC_0483.JPGDSC_0489.JPG

So, I am going to begin final assembly this evening, so over the next day or two, I will return with the completed Interceptor to show!!!!

See you all soon!!

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
A quick update.

Got the body shell together last night.
I now need to do some colour touch-ups, repairs, a few joints to be burnished and then spray the body shell with a few coats of varnish. It looks a bit tatty at the moment, but it will be much better when I am finished with it!!!!

DSC_0506.JPG DSC_0507.JPG DSC_0504.JPG DSC_0500.JPG DSC_0499.JPG DSC_0494.JPG

See you all soon!!

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
lookin fine Dan, the original Mad Max was the first R rated movie I saw in a theater.

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Thanks for the kind comments everybody!

@mysteroid No, unfortuantly the car driven by Sarse and Scuttle, The March Hare is not available for download. But this car is mainly the Big Bopper model, but with no front air dam and the words Interceptor instead of Pursuit on the trunk lid.

MarchHareSmoke.jpg HareStayOff.jpg

I am sure it would not take much to modify the existing models and create the March Hare from them.

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
As I think most of us know: When summer begins and the good weather starts, modelling takes a backwards step in priorities. It is always a quandary, as to whether to sit on my patio in the sun, with a beer in hand, or sit at the workbench inside, with a beer in hand......... The sun in the equation always wins!!!!

But, I have made progress, slow progress, but we will get there.......

The wheels are made up as before .....

DSC_0279.JPG

The wheel arch extensions are made up and attached.

DSC_0298.JPG

The engine is built up and test fitted. I still have to make and attach the two hoses on the intake yet.

DSC_0297.JPG

Next up the internal structure for the rear is fitted.
DSC_0301.JPG

One thing I need to point out here: There is also a 'detail up kit' available for the two Interceptor models.
This detail kit provides the 4 wheel hubs not included in the model, plus 4 improved wheel arch extensions. In the kit there are only the rear arch extensions provided.
In the movie The Road Warrior, we actually see TWO versions of the Interceptor. In the opening scene, we first see the car with most of the front end still intact, although the air dam/valence is missing.
A little later, Max gets into a chase and drives into the back of another vehicle and smashes up the front of his own car. This leaves Max's cars' front end in a smashed up mess.
This clip might help to show what I mean......

Included in the detail kit are the parts for the damaged front end. This is the version I decided to model.

So the sub assemblies are made up.... Rather fiddly at this scale.....

DSC_0291.JPG

I fitted these assemblies to complete the front end of the model.

DSC_0319.JPG
DSC_0321.JPG

Basically, all I have left to do are the exhaust pipes, all the tanks and other bits and bobs in the rear of the car and the display base.

Just thought I would add these pics to show you the comparison of the two model front ends.

DSC_0314.JPG
DSC_0312.JPG

See you all soon with (hopefully ) the final installment of this project. It all depends on the weather ..... LOL

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
And at last, we are done with this project!!!!

The parts for the rear end were made up ....

DSC_0352.JPG
DSC_0349.JPG
DSC_0356.JPG
DSC_0361.JPG

And attached ......

DSC_0382.JPG
DSC_0374.JPG

The exhaust pipes and the wing-mirror were attached and the whole model was sprayed with a matt coat of varnish. The other cars received a gloss coat, but as this version is a dirty, dusty version, I though matt would suit better.

So, here are some photos of the finished Interceptor damaged version....
(please excuse the bad quality of the photos, I am not sure what happened.....)

DSC_0523.JPG
DSC_0519.JPG
DSC_0500.JPG
DSC_0564.JPG

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
And some more.......

DSC_0497.JPG DSC_0496.JPG DSC_0475.JPG DSC_0470.JPG DSC_0464.JPG DSC_0462.JPG

So, that's it for this Quaternay. I hope you enjoyed watching as much as I enjoyed building them all!!!

As for my next project, well, that is gonna be BIG!!!!

Thanks for looking in and for all the kind comments and words of encouragement.
See you around the forums!!