The Griswold Railway Hotel

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Not much done as I left on Friday to go north to my daughter and son-in-law's home off of highway 17 between North Bay and Sudbury. We went to see my grandaughters Sunday School Christmas concert. Had a great visit up there and returned home today.
A tedious part of this type of building is glueing in cerealboard strips into the window wells. There are 56 windows to do in this building.

Attachments

• m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 386

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
I know this must be boring stuff but you did ask for the steps.
Here are the walls with first coat of paint ready for window details

Attachments

• m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 358

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
It's definitely not boring to me! I've been working on a little factory building on and off since this Sunday. I don't work at your lightening pace, so I'm not quite to your "usual beginning" yet. Cutting out all of those windows is hard on my fingers!

Anyway, my current project looks like it will closely parallel this one of yours, at least until it comes time to put the roof on.

Thanks for keeping up with these tutorials. You're not just building excellent paper models--you're also building up a following!

Lemur

Jul 15, 2002
Yorkville, Illinois
Visit site
Keep on posting! :thumb: :thumb:

We all love to see how you do this stuff.
I for one keep looking forward to your posts. It keeps me motivated to work on the buildings for my own layout. :p

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Thanks for all your very kind comments folks.
MarkB Much depends on the type of building I am doing to join segements. In this case I have trimmed the edges to a 45degree angle so when the joins meet they won't be visible. When I get to that stage I will take a photo to show you.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
I also like to be bored - bore on, my friend! :D :D :D

There's not one building where I hadn't learned somethin new. Now if that's boring???

Ron

PS: 56 windows? Robin, your patience is incredible! :cool:

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
OK I hear you so will try to make this more interesting.
This is the back side of the walls so you can see how I glue strips of white paper to make window frames.

Attachments

• m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 273

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
That's correct Tyson.
This photo shows it with the "glass" in place. I use those plastic tops from coffee cans. I like it because it isn't clear so give the effect of relected light and shows up better with interior lighting.

Attachments

• m5.jpg
    m5.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 270

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Next I added curtains. I found lots of curtains in Sears catalogue. Just cut them out when the wife isn't looking. I cut tthem into strips and glue them in place. Some closed some partially open.

Attachments

• m6.jpg
    m6.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 257

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
This photo is for MarkB showing wall joints. I cut a strip of cardboard and score it down the middle then glue it around the corner much like real buildings that have a slightly thicker wall at the corners. I still have work to do on the exterior of the walls.

Attachments

• m9.jpg
    m9.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 256