Tell me if this would be stupid

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
I saw an ad for a Bowser Kit and the price really caught my attention. I think the steam engine looks first class, however, it scares me to think about trying to put it together. Actually, when they talk about drilling and tapping, it really frightens me and I doubt my ability to accomplish such a task. Would it be stupid of me to even consider just a quest? I can't afford to let a pro do it. If you have any experience in this matter, please let me know. If it helps, I have never attempted to drill and tap something. I can just see me making a mistake and there goes my $100 investment.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
A lot depends on your level of experience in kit building. Do you build craftsman kits or scratchbuild? Have you built a plastic locomotive kit?

If you do decide to get it, you can always practice drilling and tapping things before setting drill to $100 model.

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
I have never built a craftsmankit. On a scale of 1 to 10, I think I am a 5 or 6. I am currently building plastic Revell airplane kits for my grandson. The only thing that I ever built from scratch is a heavy wooden biplane for my 4 year old grandson. I have done some wood working but I don't consider my craftmanship that good. It's acceptable, but not really grand. With the help of a mentor, I built an RC model boat with a gas engine. I would like to hear from someone who has put together a Bowser kit. Thanks for the tip about practice drilling. That makes sense.

David Rosser

Sep 15, 2003
Penna
Visit site
I second Jetrock's opinion; find a way to practice the drilling and tapping routine before the Bowser kit. Second, you will need good eyes and a steady hand to assemble the valve gear. Each link must be put together with the next in exact order, facing the right way (left and right are mirror image, and each joint is made with a rivet that you need to tap just hard enough that it holds, but not too hard or it will bind! They give you extra rivets because you WILL mess up one or two. It is very do-able, and a real sense of accomplishment when done. I did a Decapod and then a 3 truck Shay. The Shay seemed to be more bother, as I recall.After final tweaks and lube, the Decapod has run for years on heavy grades, some 20" radius turns, with long coal trains and never a problem. Dave

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
XavierJ123 said:
I would like to hear from someone who has put together a Bowser kit. Thanks for the tip about practice drilling. That makes sense.

Personally, I think you could handle it. Bowser makes one of the best "ground up" locomotive kits out there, a regular icon in modeling circles. I have a Bowser K4 that I am about to build. I plan to run a thread here while I do it, starting in about a week.

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
Thanks for the encouragement and all the replies. I think I will do it and look forward to forward to printing out Shaygetz's threads on "How to build a Bowser kit in 3 Easy Lessons and 1 Hard One". LOL

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
Just do it..... All of us once put together our first craftsman kit. And few of us were "experts" before we started. My only advice is to go at each step with care. and --- as mentioned above --- practice things like drilling and tapping, etc. before you tackle the expensive pieces. AND..... remember to lubricate while drilling and especially while tapping.
Bill S

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
XavierJ123 said:
Thanks for the encouragement and all the replies. I think I will do it and look forward to forward to printing out Shaygetz's threads on "How to build a Bowser kit in 3 Easy Lessons and 1 Hard One". LOL

I'm good...I'm reeeeally good.....BUT....not that good ;) How 'bout; "How to build a Bowser kit in 3 easy lessons and 1 hard one using a thirty year collection of tools and experience mixed with a spectacularly profane vocabulary" :eek: :rolleyes: :thumb:

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
HO - Steam Loco Kits
NYC K-11 Pacific 4-6-2

This is the locomotive that I want to build. As you can see Bowser offers a few optional kits such as the Super Detail kit, etc. The assembled K-11 value gear looks like something I might really like to consider. Do I need the Super Detail kit right away? I have a diesel locomotive that has a railing that makes the unit difficult to handle so I have some fear of a lot of "fragile details" that could get damaged accidentally while handling. Gosh, you mean the kit doesn't even include a headlight bulb? You got to be kidding. :eek:

100200.jpg

Complete Kit and Accessories: The locomotive and tender complete kit has all of the parts to build a working model. You may wish to add your own details or purchase our "Super Detail Kit". In addition we have assembled valve gear available as optional equipment to compliment your kit-building needs.

Part #DescriptionPrice​
1-100200 NYC K-11, Pacific with Tender Kit $114.95​
1-100210 K11 Super Detail Kit $43.95​
1-100215 Spare Rivet Kit, K2015 $3.00​
1-500205 Assembled K-11 Valve Gear $14.95​
1-91039 Headlite Bulb $2.25​
1-100416 Smoke Unit, M-1, M-1a, N2, Northern, USRA Mountain $18.95​

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Xavier: I'm not sure if you need the super detail kit right away or not. Definitely the assembled valve gear. Or else the spare rivets.
Do they list the Rivettool in their catalog? Used to be from PennLine, which Bowser took over.
Drilling and tapping can't be too hard -- I can do it. Tapping is just like putting a fragile screw into a hole; the rule usually is another half a turn in, then back it out half a turn.
Do they also list drills and taps in their catalog? You'll probably need a 2-56 tap and appropriate drills. Kadee make drill and tap sets. Also a pin vise unless you plan to do it in a drill press.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I wouldn't get the detail kit for a first go. The details they are meant to replace are cast on. There would be alot of additional work involved that would easily discourage a beginner. I plan on building mine w/o the detail kit, 1. because I really would like an old diecast heavyweight for nostalgia's sake and 2. dang it, I just don't feel like the extra fuss is going to be worth it. Quite frankly I'm tired of handling my equipment with kid gloves so I want some oldtimey forged from black iron diecast open frame motored noisey geared no light bulb beasty to just plunk down and play with. :thumb: :p

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
My wife gave me a drill press for Christmas a year ago and I just set it up recently. I would hate to have to buy a lot of tools just to build the kit. That seems like it would be defeating the purpose; e.g. saving money. I might opt for that realistic black smoke unit that shoots up real soot. LOL

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Mine came with the rivet tool. As for the drilling and tapping, so far a quick scan of the parts reveals all holes to be drilled and tapped. I'm fairly certain that Bowser has always been a scewdriver kit.

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
Bill Stone said:
Just do it..... All of us once put together our first craftsman kit. And few of us were "experts" before we started. My only advice is to go at each step with care. and --- as mentioned above --- practice things like drilling and tapping, etc. before you tackle the expensive pieces. AND..... remember to lubricate while drilling and especially while tapping.

Bill S
I agree! Everyone is experienced before their 1st one.