table height

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Harpo said:
I've been thru this dilemma myself...should I build at 30"? or 36" or 42" or 48" or what? Each has advantages and disadvantages.The closer the layout is to table height, the easier it is to build and work on from a comfortable seated position. But I've discovered that I get the most realistic view from nearly eyeball level. Placing the layout at a higher level allows for much workspace, benchspace, storage below. Unfortunately this means a normal comfortable working chair no longer works for railroad running. I've found that I can work pretty comfortably at the 48in height if I use a tall barstool for running and scenic-ing., and for those wishing to stand it is still at an acceptable viewing level. ...I just had another brainstorm. Since I am using hollow door bases, I essentially have my own bizzare modular setup..hmm...I could have a temporary lower workspace for scenery work. have to think about that some more.. anyway, that's my 2 cents, and I think it works for me.

Harpo

You could buy a couple of the lightweight plastic saw horses to put you door on. Then complete all of the trackwork, wiring, & scenery on the saw horses. Once the work is done, have someone assist you in putting the door up on top of the Ivar book shelf units. When you complete the second door, & put it up on the shelf unit, then tie them together with some metal plates from your local home supply store, & install joiner tracks and blend the scenery. You will have a little work to do from a stool, but most of the work on the railroad can be completed from a chair.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
mrcedar said:
Good idea Russ about the children. they do grow fast and it would not be a problem to make them each a footstool. When you speak about hand held I assume you are talking about DCC. This may be the best option as we have 6 grandchildren and 5 son inlaws that love to play. Given the 140 sq ft of space on the lower table one's vision of the train you were running may be difficult otherwise. I have read about it a little but wonder if my currant AC American Flyer could be outfited with it.
Dale

Actually my current plan for my home layout is to use a non dcc radio control throttle that I bought a few years ago. I can't remember the manufacturer's name. The throttle does not control an individual locomotive like dcc, it controls all of the track. However my layout will have only one locomotive running on it. I'm modeling the Los Angeles Junction Railway, and will only have one Athearn Cf-7 on the layout. Therefore the fact that my throttle controls all of the track is not a short coming. Dcc is getting to be quite reasonable in price now, but I don't know about American Flyer adaptability. I think you could install a system designed for Lionel or MTH 3 rail since they are also a/c powered systems. You would need to isolate the motor from the wheels & pick ups to wire it in. Check the dcc forum. There is a sticky at the top of the page with links to dcc sites. You might send an inquiry to "Loy's Toys" or "Tony's Train House" both of them do a lot of dcc installation as well as have instructions on how to do an install on their respective web pages.

mrcedar

Aug 5, 2006
Michigan's UP
Thank you all so much for your observations and comments. Thanks also to The Gauge for having this wonderful helpful forum. I think I will try some of these ideas by getting some foam board, setting it on some adjustable horses, setting up a simple layout and working with it for a while at different heights.
What type of foam do you think would be best?
Dale