Steeple Cab Switcher Progress

F

Fred_M

Looking good Russ, but that's an awful big antenna on them. :D :D The pants look cool. :thumb: Fred

:) Thanks, guys! The prototype was a light switcher design used just for small moves. The photo below is from the CERA book 'Not Only Passengers' and gives a dead-on view of the original. Of coourse, Chris and I think alike...no broomsticks on our stuff! BEEEEEEEG antennas!! :cool: The other photo is of the Sacremento Northern GE switcher built along the same GE steeple cab design, but in a heavier model...62 tons. The photo is from the Sacremento Northern website. You can see where I draw my inspiration from. My future locos will be a pair of Baldwin Class D motors to be released by Cannonball Car Shops in the future. The GE 40T are styrene, the Baldwins will be a brass body kit. ;)

Attachments

• GE40T.jpg
    GE40T.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 650.jpg
    650.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 160
Good Morning, David... :wave:

The lower photo is the SN 62 ton GE switcher. The Sacremento Northern had 3 different power transmission types on their line. The lighter overhead trolley wire was used with the roof mounted pole, the heavier overhead was used with the pantograph, and there was an Army base that utilized 3rd rail power, so the switcher was equipped with pickup shoes. The configuration allowed the switcher to operate anywhere on the line. :cool:

Russ

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Very nice Ross, glad you put pans on those beauts :thumb:
The Sacremento Northen is one of my favorite Electric lines :)
Three power pickups they had ,, But they never look better than when the "antennar :rolleyes: ) was at full mast :thumb:

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
<nitpick>
The trolley poles on SN freight motors were generally only used on the ferry "Ramon", as its overhead couldn't handle pantographs--normally the panto was used wherever there was overhead. Originally the 650 and other North End (Northern Electric) cars just had trolley poles, but after the merger with OA&E the pantos were installed.

Uncovered overhead third rail was used on the North End (between Sacramento and Chico) in rural areas, switching to 600-volt overhead in towns. Third rail was not used at all on the South End (Sacramento to Oakland), including at the Naval Weapons Station. Even SN's Birneys could be fitted with temporary third-rail shoes to allow them to make the trip north to Chico for shopping.
</nitpick>

Nitpicking aside, I've got one of those Cannonball kits and it is high on my list of Things To Make Real Soon, even though the 40-ton version is way too small to accurately depict an SN switcher...I'm too impressed with Gerold Eckl's version of the same kit (made for his semi-freelanced railroad based on the SN) to worry about those sort of details! My main worry is being able to fit all the tanks, brackets, widgets, doohickeys and whooziwhatsises that SN stuck all over their freight motors onto that little 40-ton chassis...and if anyone asks me about the small size, I'll just hit 'em up for the $500 that the brass one would cost!

I used the LazerKit parts to make the chassis and mount the motors. It works great and, to me, is the only way to go. My models are a freelance design for my Hudson Electric, but certain details are borrowed from the SN switchers...like the angled number boards and the striped fronts. Like Jetrock said, these look great with stuff hangin' off of 'em. Trouble is, detail parts like poling poles and rerail frogs are tough to get. Some are available through Bowser's Cal-Scale division, others have to be scrounged up or fabricated. The real challenge is finding decent looking pantographs. The ones that I have are old KMT jobs sold by Precision Scale many years ago that I bought at the Narrow Gauge Convention (of all places!) when it was held in Warwick, Rhode Island. They fit just fine and are proportional to the model. I think that Model Railroad Warehouse has a few left according to the website, but they won't be rerun. If anyone wants one, now's the time! Hey, Jet, you going to get any of the Baldwin steeple cabs from Cannonball Car Shops? I'm waiting for the Class D, but that'll be awhile. ;)

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
I've got my eye on a Class D myself--I have a Bachmann 70 tonner waiting in my parts box for cannibalization! I already have an older brass Baldwin-Westinghouse but it is in desperate need of repowering.

On my last trip to Chicago I stopped by Chicagoland Hobbies and raided their parts bins for just about anything traction-related, on the off-chance that I could use it on one of the several traction kitbashes I plan on doing. Since they don't really make that stuff anymore (and most of it was 50% off) I figured it would be better to load up and risk it gathering a little dust for a while...