Steel furnace working

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
A little conversation on the chat this evening led to some interior detailing of the Massey-Harris foundry operation. An orange xmas light and some cotton batten and you have steel being melted. The modeling was easy, it was getting the photo that was so $#@%! hard!

cheers
Val

Attachments

• *smelter.jpg
    *smelter.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 280

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Oh, wow! Looks like you had a more productive night than I did. All I did was put the first line leading off of my layout down and some cork roadbed down for a passing siding. Of course, I spent about 4 hours overninght playing with as well.... :) :) :) :) :) :)

That is a cool idea btw. Gonna have to remember it myself.

Michael

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Very Nice!!

Excellent models & photos as usual, Val!
Love the interior detail!
The layout is looking super!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Val - that is so neat being in on the design phase & then seeing it come to life.... Great Pic - Great Model!!

btw - Bobo got me last night & at the same time the Boss Lady came in & wanted to go to bed.. Makes me wonder if Bobo's on her payroll.. :D :D :D

See ya tonight :) :) :)

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Great visual effect Val. I use those flaming Christmas light bulbs in my steel mill. They flicker nicely but you can't photograph the effect .
The MF factory is going to be huge. Just like the real thing was

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Ralph, these are 2 of the photos I used for inspiration. You might want to do the same. I can't believe how easy it is to create the effect of fire and billowing smoke just like in the photo to the left. Also thought of using fiber optic strands to simulate sparks - now wouldn't that be cool!

Attachments

• steelpix.jpg
    steelpix.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 138

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
Excellent photos. Steel plants are really unbelievable. A friend of mine (MCL_RDG) and I used to frequent the Bethlehem Steel plant in Bethlehem / Allentown PA all the time. I always loved the taconite pits with the overhead cranes. The huge slag heaps and the coke ovens, flaming smoke stacks an pugh cars. It's amazing now to go by and see most of it gone. That was a small plant, only took up about a 5 mile stretch!!

beth1.jpg

beth2.jpg

beth3.jpg

beth4.jpg