Starter Set

consultant

Dec 4, 2006
I did a search for Starter Beginner Children Kids and nothing came up. So....

I'd like to get a model train set for my kids ages 6 and 7. I don't want to spend a lot of money (under $400). I do not plan on making this a hobby, we have way too many other things on our plate. I do want something of good quality that will last. We'll probably take it out a couple times a year, around Christmas and maybe other times. Probably set it up on the carpet or hardwood floor. If we REALLY got into later, I think we'd go with a smaller scale anyway and mount the track on a board like my Dad did with me for our HO set. But I don't have time to do that in the foreseeable future.

I ran across an article by a model railroad enthusiast. He recommended O Gauge 3-rail starter sets. Specifically he recommended MTH R-T-R Rail King sets over Lionel as having the better set. The only problem is, they'd LOVE having the Polar Express which appears to be Lionel exclusive. Would like some bells and whistles (literally) but don't want to go overboard.

Would do the knowledgeable enthusiasts recommend going with? Is there that much of a difference in O-Guage Starter Sets between MTH and Lionel?

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Sorry, I can't make a really knowledgable recommendation on which of these sets to choose, but I just had to reply when I read this:

I do not plan on making this a hobby

Heh heh heh...okay. Good luck with that. And good luck finding the right set. Hopefully others with more than a quip can give you a useful comment.

Galen

cmhockman78

Dec 1, 2006
Muncy, PA
i don't really know for sure what comes with the polar express set but i heard someone in the LHS today say...
"we want some more track because we have the polar express set and it barely fits around the tree"
now that doesn't sound like much fun

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Hee...hee...Thats why they're called "Starter Sets". You start with a small set-up...
Next thing you know...You have a basement "empire....Believe me...Thats why lots of us are here.
Can't help with the O gauge stuff. But HO starter set from Bachmann, or Life-Like, are pretty good. Some run under $200.00. Come with track that can run on carpet, and have minimal detail for young rough hands, and this way, they won't ruin the finely detailed expensive stuff that you're going to end up buying for yourself.
It'll happen......