Star Wars - X-Wing T-70 Building Thread

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
VERY NICE! This model screams for a cockpit interior add-on. Maybe you could install a re-scaled version of imcold's X-Wing? :)

Reactions: starbuck

starbuck

Aug 15, 2013
Austria - Carinthia
VERY NICE! This model screams for a cockpit interior add-on. Maybe you could install a re-scaled version of imcold's X-Wing? :)
You are right - this would be the one thing. The other things would be the droid plate and the back plate. For sure it is worth doing, but based on many other projects it will have to wait a little bit. (OMG how many things are waiting to be done;-))

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Do them all at the same time..that way when things get busy ..you can ask yourself to hand you something! ;)

Don't know about Droid plate or back plate...( don't know what they are..but will l8ter ) but interior!! most definitely screams for one!!!

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA

starbuck

Aug 15, 2013
Austria - Carinthia
Latest update: I made the fighter with 160mgr paper. The wings pull down - they don´t stay in place. The reason is that the main body is too weak to be able to stabilize the heavy wings. So I recomend thicker paper for at least the body and/or to include stabilizer.
I will try to stabilize the wings using spar varnish. - Keep you informed.

Reactions: bigpetr

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Thank You Starbuck, another invaluable info for future builders (like me:)). I was thinking about this, because this model has no inner structures in the body. Knowing myself If I get to build it someday I will do redesigns and lot of add-ons anyway (and it will last forewer to comlete like my current build of good old x-wing):)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You could just cut out the cockpit glass and put dark tinted plastic windows, or use real glass if your're nuts. I had to actually look at the first post to make sure this wasn't plastic, because it looked to good to be plastic, but of course, it's paper!! Excellent job, and workmanship!! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: bigpetr

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Jun 1, 2015
Starbuck,

Great work (as always)!!:Bravo::Congrats: I'm having a a tough time figuring out if its paper or plastic (with the exception of the cockpit);). I agree with everyone else - add on the cockpit. Right now I'm doing the same thing for one of the astro races from scratch. Getting the scales right can be a bear :headbange: especially since the lightjet cockpit is TINY. You at least have more room to do a really neat job on this already incredibly made model.thumbsup

Thanks for sharing your high quality work!:biggrin::animated:

Sky Seeker
:tank:

Last edited:
Reactions: starbuck

starbuck

Aug 15, 2013
Austria - Carinthia
Thanks to all for the complimentary words.
Thanks to the designer of the model. It is a really nice model where some details could be added as mentioned before. Also the body was too weak to stabilize the wings (160mgr paper).
As mentioned before I used spar varnish as a try to stabilize the body ....and it worked - the body has become more stable and the wings are in place.
Furthermore this step made a new shining look - I will post a photo this evening.

@ details - I will not touch this model, but I am sure that I will do it a second time and then I will change the cockpit, the back plate and the droid plate.

Last thing: I found a lego model of bb-8. Some light changes and it can be used for this model. BB-81.png

starbuck

Aug 15, 2013
Austria - Carinthia
As promised the updated picture with the varnish on it.

....and the skiing season has started;-)

Attachments

• IMG_1792.JPG
    IMG_1792.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1793.JPG
    IMG_1793.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1783.jpg
    IMG_1783.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1784.jpg
    IMG_1784.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1782.jpg
    IMG_1782.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

starbuck

Aug 15, 2013
Austria - Carinthia
Oh I am not learning I am practicing downhill skiing for many years. For sure you always can learn at any time of your life. Just maning not taking courses or something like that.
Where, Heli skiing (including a course) would be a dream to do before I get too old. I like off-roading, but at the moment there is not enough snow to go off road. So we have to stay on the prepared tracs at the moment.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I used to love Skiing. It is amazing how fast you can go, and how nice slow long curves can be. A great sport, but very expensive. I found it cheaper to own a motorcycle, in the long run. ;)