Spanish Galleon plastic converted to paper

stagecoach

Aug 24, 2006
New Hampshire
johns-shipyard.tripod.com
This is a model that I am presently designing. It is my first large undertaking.
Bear with me if you interested. the images you will see at this time are in a
prototype stage, which means the final parts for the model will be clearer and
more precise.
The link to my images is here:

http://johns-shipyard.tripod.com/my_paper_models/

it is album page and all images may be enlarged and copied.
as the construction progresses I will be adding to this webpage.

attached is a photograph of the model I am attempting to make.
check it out.

If you wish to see the rest of the site the link is here
http://johns-shipyard.tripod.com/index2.html

John

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
That looks really good, John!

As a wannabe eventual ship model designer, I would love to know how you designed this model, if you would be so kind as to explain your process.

Hope you post more updates as you go along.

Cheers!
Jim

C

cgutzmer

Very very cool. What software are you going to be using?
Thanks for sharing this design (and process) with us.
Chris

stagecoach

Aug 24, 2006
New Hampshire
scale 1:96 metric

Revell came out with model many years ago after me making the plastic model for 20 years they sold rights to Germany. the model then went out into lala land and i couldn't find it again. Several years ago the German company decided to start it again and it lasted for about 2 years and then was dropped again. In that last 2 year span I managed to aquire the model for a very large some of money, well beyond what I would have wanted to pay.

In having this model I decided to utilize it before constructing the completed model. After Disney Expierience came out with thier version of The Wicked Wench I wasn't to thrilled with that model so I figured I would try to make a ship of similar or better then that model.

I have sent letters out to all companies that had anything to do with the design of this model and no one has replied to my message. I would of wanted to design it and sell it as a paper model but decided because no one got back to me I would have to just give it away free of charge.

So my design process is this, a lot of scanning and color changing a few mods here and a few mods there. the black section on hull was done by cutting strips of paper and gluing them on that new self adhesive saran wrap covered hull then removing and cutting in just a few locations to make flat and scan in.

I am designing it in the scale of the original model then when all parts are designed I will probably shrink it down a little more after all the completed model will be about 30 inches long. But then again I might just leave it as is after all the cannons and carriages will be only about 1 1/8th inch long as is.

By the way if you want to expierience this ship at this time I am including the files for those cannons here. Have fun as this is what I am cutting out right now to install on the deck. print both sides of the cannons on 67 pound card stock.

I am using Paint Shop Pro 8 to do all the textures for this model. I am using it for the first time and learning as i go along so bear with me on this prototype process.

I will also with time explain the assembly process that I used to get to the point you see in the album.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

stagecoach

Aug 24, 2006
New Hampshire
lapse of time in ship building

I know everyone interested is waiting for something new to come out of this project but at this time i have a pressing problem I am trying to finish before summer is over. I decided to build a real rowboat out on my deck.
It's called a 12 ft Jon Boat and although the instructions and p[lans said I could build it in 2 days I have been at it for 2 weeks already. Today I finished applying the fiberglass around the seams of the boat.

in other news I am also designing a model of a stagecoach to go with my namesake.

Be patient I have been cleaning up some of the hull prints.

John

codieray

Aug 8, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Love the Model

Stagecoach

Hi I'm Codieray, I love the Galleon model you are designing and building. I too have been working on one to and it started out as the Wappen Von hamberg by lindburg models. I built the Wicked Wench for my grandson and didnt like the way it was designed so like you I started out designing my own. I am attempting to design mine like a plank on frame model. Is thet how you did yours. paper Modeling is new to me and trying to learn as many trick of the trade as I can. I am now working on drawing the side templates to be wraped around the frame. Will watch this thread as I sure as you progress many of my questions will be answered. Keep up the good work.

Codieray

stagecoach

Aug 24, 2006
New Hampshire
I didn't have a frame and could of wacked myself for not putting one in and
the reason i say that is because most ship decks have a convex shape to
allow water to drain to outside edges of deck. my model does not show this
cause I forgot to add formers:cry:
when I continue setting up the finished product I will be adding a frame.

Hi Codieray :wave:

I will be looking for images of your model also.:thumb:

My next process will be to set up the belaying pin frames for all masts
also the mast designs and the ratlines.

watch out for the rats they bite wall1

have fun modelers:roll1:

John

stagecoach

Aug 24, 2006
New Hampshire
back in the design stage

hello everyone announce1

Just to let everyone know I am back to designing the rest of the galleon.
I've designed the belaypin racks for tieing of the lines, the anchors, the cleats
and the pulley blocks. and the ratlines.

I,m working on the masts at present

boy is it ever so hard to design something so darn small.

you will need surgical scissors to cut out the tiny pieces.
and tweezers to fold and hold them

again please be patient after all i'm an old man. sign1

John