Spam... I Cant Stand Spam

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
jasbourre said:
Thanks Don for keeping us informed on this mater.

I have seen on other forums that they do not aloy any free email servers ie hotmail, yahoo ect.

Something to think about.

That means I won't be able to be on the forum!!:cry:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
MadHatter said:
That means I won't be able to be on the forum!!:cry:
Fear not, based on the email addresses of the spammers, less that 25% of them use free email servers. Blocking Yahoo, Hotmail or Gmail wouldn't gain us much, and we'd have some unhappy people turned away because they don't want their ISP's email address in anyone's public record.

I think the staff here is doing a great job in keeping spam cleared out, sometimes within minutes of it being posted. :thumb: :thumb: We've got some of the most dedicated mods here that you'll ever run across. :D And I have to tell you, there's some satisfaction in doing that, knowing the spammer is still on-line and he can see his spam disappear, or in some cases, never get posted in the first place.:wave: :wave: Naw, blocking those servers wouldn't help enough to make it worthwhile...

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
jbaakko said:
I do research (type in servers into google), and it seems a majority of forums block these two servers. I recently looked at a .it domain too, but I didn't find the info I found with them. I decided that mail.ru & cashette.com had spammed me enough, and various other sites had the same issue so out they went.

Never had a hotmail.com spam yet, they're getting better.

Well, ok, I rent it, but its not hard to own a server, you buy one, hook it up to the internet and point a domain to the server's IP address. Then you set up the email boxes on the server, and wala, you own your server.
I don't see Hotmail spam either. It used to be so bad that I filtered out ALL Hotmail stuff. Now, I let it through with no problems.

I rent my own server, too. Right now, I trap most spam with BogoFilter called by my email client, which works very well. Still, I think I will block those two Ips at the server and see if it makes a dent in the spam count.

Thanks for posting that.

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
I've never understood why so many badmouth Spam the food.
I really like the stuff.
Fried slices with eggs or in a peanut butter and jam sandwich on true sour dough bread --- smells great; tastes even better!
But then I also like sardines occasionally --- much to my wife's disgust.
Bill S

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Bill Stone said:
I've never understood why so many badmouth Spam the food.
I really like the stuff.
Fried slices with eggs or in a peanut butter and jam sandwich on true sour dough bread --- smells great; tastes even better!
But then I also like sardines occasionally --- much to my wife's disgust.
Bill S
I like Spam the food but not spam on my forums.
I have to wonder about some of the new "flavors" of Spam they have come out with, though.