Sp Ac-12

loggerhead

Feb 11, 2006
Wow,

Just recieved my "new" key AC-12. Opted to wait for a Japan version to surface vice the Korean and all I can say is wow. This thing runs better than my LL mallet. If your in the market for an SP cab forward, I would wait and buy the Japanese version, doesn't even require the tender to operate. I'll post some pics some day when I get my layout up and running. :thumb:

loggerhead

Feb 11, 2006
Ac-12

Why is it that anytime there is a post on one of these forums regarding a brass locomotive (N scale AC-12 gets alot of hits) there is always the question of "how much did it cost"?
Who cares, one persons budget is different from another and what is spent on a layout is up to the individual railroader. Trust me, a large layout costs much more than this engine did.
I merely wanted to add a tip regarding the quality of this engine in comparison to many other brass locomotives I have heard about. Frankly this is my first brass locomotive purchase and because of the quaility, I am not afraid to perhaps purchase another brass model in the future.

If you are a serious model railroader, a brass engine of high quality will pay for itself in the long run if taken care of. Besides, you can't run a 1948 Southern Pacific layout to any accuracy without a cab forward. It is worth every penny!!

C

Catt

Why is it that anytime there is a post on one of these forums regarding a brass locomotive (N scale AC-12 gets alot of hits) there is always the question of "how much did it cost"?
Who cares, one persons budget is different from another and what is spent on a layout is up to the individual railroader. Trust me, a large layout costs much more than this engine did.

Some people have to plan for such a purchase.It's kind of nice to know in advance just how much they need to save to buy said purchase.Therefore that person cares how much it cost.I know I would like a clue to that cost if I were looking to buy an AC-12.(fortunately there aren't too many of them running in 2006 my modeling year of choice :D )

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
In some circles and some cultures it's totally impolite to ask what something costs when you show it off. I think all hobbies and new cars are exempt from that rule. I don't care if you're into RC planes, woodworking, basket weaving or model railroading, you buy a new piece of equipment or new tool or a new car and show it off, you've got to expect the enevitable "geeze, what did that set you back?" Like Catt says, some people would like to do the same but have to plan for it. Maybe you got a good deal on it and they want to know so they can do likewise before there aren't any left. There's all sorts of reasons someone asks, but you should expect it in these cases and just don't answer if you don't care to. Dear Abby has 1000 different comebacks, but I don't think they apply for hobbies and new cars, they just don't...:D

Meiriongwril

Mar 1, 2006
Lafayette, Lousiana
Hi folks - I didn't intent to start a spat here with my original comment. It was intended to be a humorous comment pointing out the unfortunately high cost of brass:cry:

I guess I could have done a little ebay research - I have now done so, and can tell folks that a current offering of the Key AC12 is hovering just beneath the $800 mark. Admittedly, if you really need a cab foward in N, that's the price to pay! But you could get a lot of other locos for the price.... (just a humorous comment: honest!):D

Now, if you really want a nasty comment - how about the amazing inability to spell, punctuate, or distinguish between forms (there/their, your/you're) that we find in postings all over the forum!announce1:curse:

Sunburn

Jun 24, 2005
Minnesota
ezdays said:
In some circles and some cultures it's totally impolite to ask what something costs when you show it off. I think all hobbies and new cars are exempt from that rule. I don't care if you're into RC planes, woodworking, basket weaving or model railroading, you buy a new piece of equipment or new tool or a new car and show it off, you've got to expect the enevitable "geeze, what did that set you back?" Like Catt says, some people would like to do the same but have to plan for it.

I have to agree, I love looking at the beautemous Overlands and what have you, but do you know how many heroin sales I have to make to get that kind of money? Plus the bribes, illegal labor costs and the rising costs of distribution? Cmon, I barely have enough left to fund my international arms sales.:D

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
loggerhead said:

It's not about brass locomotives specifically. People who share similar interests are always curious about how much the other guy paid for something. That way, they know how much they can expect to pay, or perhaps they recently made the same purchase and wonder if they got a decent deal or not.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
That's EXACTLY why I ask. Also I only ask if I really like it, so I can see how many months of allowance I have to save up before I purchase. At my current rate my -/+$20.00/month "salary" it'd take me....Three years, and three months!!! :eek:

coaster

Jan 13, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
loggerhead said:
. . . Besides, you can't run a 1948 Southern Pacific layout to any accuracy without a cab forward . . .
Sure you can! The Santa Cruz branch was renowned for its absence of cab-forwards! ;)

-- Regards,
Paul

loggerhead

Feb 11, 2006
ac-12

This spiraled out of control a bit. Went to Yosemite for the weekend and wow.
If you must know, the AC-12 was around 900. As for asking someone the price, it should be done in a manner which invokes interest, not jest (and I took Meiriongwril's writing as such).

Coaster, as far as running without a cab forward on my layout, I have zippo interest in the Santa Cruz branch.

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
:cry: :cry: Well logerhead. I was going to ask for my own information but with your attitude I'll just skip it.:curse: :curse: :curse: sign1 sign1 sign1

That is my favorate enginge as I even got to ride in the cab while workiing for the SP back in the late 50's and early 60's

loggerhead

Feb 11, 2006
Clerk said:
:cry: :cry: Well logerhead. I was going to ask for my own information but with your attitude I'll just skip it.:curse: :curse: :curse: sign1 sign1 sign1

Clerk, feel free to ask, no attitude intended in previous post. Apparently my joking around was taken the wrong way. OHMYGOSH, it happened again on this same thread.:rolleyes:

I should have done a better job of explaining my disinterest in Sant Cruz (live nearby) and my interest in elsewhere on the SP line.

Clerk, if you are interested in getting an AC-12 find a Japanese made variant:thumb:

coaster

Jan 13, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
loggerhead --

Frankly, neither could I care much less about modeling that particular portion of Espee, but I couldn't resist pointing out that it is possible to realistically model 1948-era Southern Pacific without a cab-forward in sight. (For the record, one could also model a certain portion of the road through New Mexico sans cab-forwards; it was AC-9 territory in those years.)

On the matter of price, if you're happy with the engine, I'm happy for you. (In this day and age, I think you got a pretty good deal. Enjoy.)

Regards,
Paul

Meiriongwril

Mar 1, 2006
Lafayette, Lousiana
"As for asking someone the price, it should be done in a manner which invokes interest, not jest (and I took Meiriongwril's writing as such).":rolleyes:

It seems Loggerhead really lives up to his Forum name! Are we not allowed to be light-hearted and make jests??:D Surely not!
I think he should lighten up, and try to develop some conversational pragmatics....:wave:

Meiriongwril

Mar 1, 2006
Lafayette, Lousiana
Loggerhead said:
"As for asking someone the price, it should be done in a manner which invokes interest, not jest (and I took Meiriongwril's writing as such)."
:rolleyes:

It seems Loggerhead really lives up to his Forum name! Are we not allowed to be light-hearted and make jests??:D Surely not!
I think he should lighten up, and try to develop some conversational pragmatics....:wave:

Meiriongwril

Mar 1, 2006
Lafayette, Lousiana
Intermountain SP AC-12?

That's EXACTLY why I ask. Also I only ask if I really like it, so I can see how many months of allowance I have to save up before I purchase. At my current rate my -/+$20.00/month "salary" it'd take me....Three years, and three months!!!

I have had a message from the good folks at Intermountain confirming that it is their usual practice to bring out their locos in both HO and N. As they are just launching a cabforward in HO, it's a fair bet that an N version will be heading up the pike before too much longer! Gonna be more expensive than a diesel of course, but hopefully will require fewer than 3 years' savings (sorry - humorous comment:) )

loggerhead

Feb 11, 2006
I am hoping that intermountain does release a Cab Fwd in N scale, this way I can afford to have more than just one going around my layout.