South Eastern Railroad in Sweden

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
I put updates as new reply at the bottom of this page:
070402 Trestle Bridge
070412 The Rockies

In a previous thread I asked for help with a name for my new layout and got some suggestions and the name will be "South Eastern Railroad" because I live in the south eastern part of Sweden.
Anyhow, yesterday I built my first module using the Fremo standard and now I´m on my way with the track plan so I really could need some input on how to do it right.
the size of the module is 900x400mm, that is 3' x 1'4 I suppose :rolleyes:
The first module will contain a station area with a small station, loco shed and so on.
Is it possible to have the room for a turntable?

modul_1.jpg

The theme for the layout will be wood, with a logging camp and transport to sawmill and then to some kind of wooden industries.

Thanks for coming and much appreciated input :)

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Berraf, you did not say where you plan the turntable. I am guessing the left side. The upper left looks like no problem. The lower left, with that switchback, could be a problem.
It looks like you would have to pull the train onto the turntable to get to the other track. But then, I am not sure, since I model ho.

Loren
P.S. Good name choice, I like that.

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
grewsome said:
Berraf, you did not say where you plan the turntable. I am guessing the left side. The upper left looks like no problem.
For the time being I let the turntable rest in peace :)

I bought some cork that is used to make gaskets off at the local hardware store and it seems to work quite well to make the roadbed of. I glued the cork with white glue...

Right now I´m thinking of how to make the turnouts work at the easiest way. I have Peco turnouts and would like to switch them manually with a wire or a rod.

Anybody who have a good handy tip for this?
Could be a good celebration of my 100 comments ;)

DavidB-AU

Feb 26, 2006
berraf said:
Right now I´m thinking of how to make the turnouts work at the easiest way. I have Peco turnouts and would like to switch them manually with a wire or a rod.

Anybody who have a good handy tip for this?
Looks like they are electrofrog, so this is a good way.

http://www.nscale.net/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-2987.html

Personally I don't think the triangular piece is necessary and you put the push/pull rod straight onto the switch, but try both and see what works best for you.

A good alternative I've seen for the push/pull rod is to use 0.25"/6mm threaded rod. It's a bit stronger than other rods or wire and less likely to bend. You can then put a couple of washers on the end to make it easy to work, i.e. nut-washer-nut makes a good "knob".

Cheers
David

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
Thanks for the tip David!
It seems to be a good solution to the problem :)
But, do I really need to take the spring out from the turnout?
I think that I will try to keep the springs for the time being...

DavidB-AU

Feb 26, 2006
berraf said:
But, do I really need to take the spring out from the turnout?
I think that I will try to keep the springs for the time being...
You don't have to but the slide switch does the job of the spring anyway. It is easier to take the spring out before you lay the track. This will help if you ever want to replace the rods with, say, Tortoise point motors.

Cheers
David

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
I know have glued cork under the track and the trackplan is about to become what I was expecting. As you can see there´s a lot of track at a small space but I wish to put some wagons and locos just to show off at the station module :)

modul_2.jpg
modul_2.jpg

The cork roadbed should be cut more precisely but that´s no hurry for the time being :rolleyes:

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
I just recently bought these two GP20:s and I´m so happy for them. The GP20 is my first memory of american locos and ever since then they have a special place in my heart.

GP20_3.jpg

Here´s another picture of GP20-1107

GP20-1107-colorado1.jpg

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
The progress at my layout are slow, very slow, but steady. Like a turtle moving :)
I have finished the track on the third module and also made a test with the three modules together and the test had a positive result.
3moduler2.jpg

Now I´m thinking a lot off how to make the turnouts function... :rolleyes:

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
berraf said:
Is it possible to have the room for a turntable?

Hi berraf, I see that the N scale guys, when making private modules, sort of make an extention to the normal size module by making a module that just holds the turntable and round house, so I'm sure you can too. It doesn't neccessarily need to be a standard size module either, so long your two connecting modules which connect that section to your layout are standard. :thumb:

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
I'm building a trestle bridge for my layout even though I don't know where to have it but I had some balsa stripes and thought I could do something nice of it.
Here is a picture of my work on the bridge so far...
tb-m-1.jpg

I built it by heart and the most important issue for me is that it should look reasonably right and I like it :thumb:

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
Finally I got the manually turnout control to work.
To me it has been a lot of headache before it would work as I hoped :???:
brytare4.jpg

As you could see I need to wire the switch but I hope there will be no problems with that :eek:ops: