Sources of engine service facility info

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by kchronister, Jan 11, 2006.

1. kchronister

kchronister Member

Can anyone suggest sites, books, etc. that would give me some insight into loco service facilities, specifically for steam. More specifically for 1945-50 era?

Thanks,

K
  2. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Kalmbach has published two books that would probably help you. They have one out on railroading in the 50's and they came out with one a couple of years ago on railroad maintanance facilities if I remember correctly.
  3. kchronister

kchronister Member

Thanks Russ. I got the one on the 50's which is okay as a source for this, but not too much. I'll try to hunt down the other one - I already know the local library ain't got it (I know their model railroad collection pretty much by heart), so maybe I'll check Amazon used books...
  4. stump7

stump7 Member

John Armstrong's Track Planning for Realistic Operation has a chapter on service trackage including steam engine facilities.
    Stump7
  5. kchronister

kchronister Member

Aha! "The Model Railroader's Guide to Locomotive Servicing Terminals"... we'll give that a shot, i think.
  6. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

John Pryke has a book out on steam - a very talented modeller who has had all kinds of articles in MR. I do not know if he addresses prototypical steam service (and how to model it) in his book, or just our scale versions.

Andrew
  7. babydot94513

babydot94513 Member in training

Stump. does this book also cover yard operations and design?

JD

8. JAyers

JAyers Member

Certainly it does. There s quite a lot of info about design considerations and hump yard operations. It pretty much is the standard that everyone references. A great read whether you're going to go down to that level of realism and operationalism or not.

John

9. kchronister

kchronister Member

I ended up reviewing both this and the McGuirk loco-terminal specific book...

Both are interesting and valuable, though Armstrong's material is limited to a scant couple of pages. Good stuff, but it's like comparing the Cliff's Notes to the full novel (where loco service is concerned).