Source for cast window pieces?

Skammer

Feb 4, 2005
I'm about to rebuild my CPR Standard No. 2c station in styrene (HO scale). I have the actual plans for this station type and it has many windows, in the following sizes: 20x24; 30x24; 20x48; 30x48.

I'd very strongly prefer to use premade windows, like the ones from Grandt Line or Tichy. But they don't seem to have any of these sizes.

Can anyone help me find a source for windows of this size? Failing that :)( ), any suggestions for scratchbuilding these without going blind or slitting my wrists in frustration?

N

nachoman

well, you could compromise, and use the closest size you can find. Another source of windows would be to find a kit that has the same size, and take the windows from the kit, and use the rest for the scrap box. But you are right, building individual windows would be a pain. making some kind of jig and assembly line process would simplify things, but it would still be a pain.

kevin

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
You can also cut the Grandt Line windows apart, remove the excess, then glue them back together. In my post in the Photography forum, called "Hope you get a 'lift' out of this..." (it's on page two), the windows in the crossing watchman's elevated shanty are mostly resized Grandt Line offerings. If you need to shorten the height of a window, it's easier to hide the joint if you cut the window apart just above the sill. When you glue things back together, place the pieces, backside down on a sheet of glass: this will keep all the pieces in the same plane. Push the pieces together, then apply liquid cement (I use lacquer thinner) with a small brush. When the bond has set you can lift (or scrape if you were too liberal with the glue) the window from the glass. A single-edged razor blade is the best tool for doing the cutting.

Wayne

Skammer

Feb 4, 2005
doctorwayne said:
You can also cut the Grandt Line windows apart, remove the excess, then glue them back together.
That's not a bad idea, Wayne. I'll have to take another look at the Grandt inventory and see if there is anything that might work.

Skammer

Feb 4, 2005
Thanks for all the ideas. This is what I did. I took some Tichy attic windows (#8023) and cut away the frames. These are 28" x 26" which is close enough to the 30" x 24" I needed, and the same configuration (three panes wide by two high). To make my 20" x 24" windows, I sliced out one column of panes and joined the frame back together to make it 2 x 2 panes.

To make my 30" x 48" and 20" x 48", I did as above and joined two windows one on top of the other. I had to move around a mullion in the bottom frame of the larger window but it wasn't too bad.

Instead of having to do this surgery on 20+ windows, I'm trying something new (for me) - I'm making a mold of my 4 window masters and I am going to cast as many resin ones as I need. If they work out, I'll post some pics.