Sound decoder for 2-8-8-2 & 2-8-4

Nick8564

Sep 3, 2004
I have a Virginian Proto 2000 2-8-8-2 and a Proto 2-8-4 Virginain. I want to put sound in both but not sure what decoder will go the best. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Nick:wave:, right now the way i see it, you have 3 good choices: LokSound's "Big Boy" decoder, Tsunami's "Large steam" decoder, and MRC's NEW Brilliance steam decoders:thumb:.

i HAVE the LokSound "Big Boy" sound decoder in my UP F-E-F Class 3 Northern:D. it sounds GREAT, and runs FANTASTIC!:thumb: my ONLY complaint with it is i think the whistle is not very loud:(. i have the CV volume for the whistle set at max, but still is not that loud. ALL THE OTHER SOUNDS ARE PERFECTLY LOUD ENOUGH THOUGH:thumb:.

the Tsunami's are a BIG favorite of steam fans:thumb:. i DO NOT have one at this time:eek:ops:, but have heard them, and i think they are GREAT!:thumb:

MRC's **NEW** Brilliance STEAM sound decoders are NOW OUT!:thumb: i have NOT heard them yet, but if they are even HALF as good as the Diesel versions, they should be an OUTSTANDING sound decoder;):thumb:. i DO HAVE one of Athearns Big Boys, and TWO of Athearns Challengers, they all have MRC's steam sound decoders in them, and they ALL RUN AND SOUND GREAT!:thumb: but i am NOT sure if the NEW Brilliance steam sound decoders are the same as whats in these, though i am guessing they are;).

MY ADVICE; ANY of these three steam sound decoders would be GREAT to put in your steamers:thumb:. announce1just keep in mind, THATS JUST MY THOUGHTStooth1...lets see what "others" have to say;).
:D -Deano