Something To Use

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
The Internet is a wonderful tool for finding information on a subject to model, especially pictures of the subject. But, I've noticed that there are many posts here asking where can I find a picture of this or that. Its tedious to search individual sites looking for a particular picture but there's a place that you can most likely find the picture you need in just a few minutes.

The Google search engine has an under utilized feature. Go to www.google.com and on the opening page click on "Image Search". Then type in the keyword(s) of the subject that you want a picture of and hit <enter>. In seconds you will have hundreds of sites related to the picture you want plus thumbnail pictures that you can click on and enlarge. Your screen will split too and you can scan the site quickly for other pictures. Keep in mind that the picture that you may be looking for may or may not be on a modeling or railroad related site.

I'm sure that there are other related image search sites and maybe we can get a list of them going here.

F

Fred_M

At www.yahoo.com type in your search term, say "usra locomotive", and hit the search button. When the results page appears click on the image tab. Tada. 33 images results with thumbnails. Click on thumbnail to go to site. You can also get quit specific, say "bnsf 2353" got me 4 nice pictures. FRED

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Now if it's buildings and industries you want pictures of, I have found the mother of all reference sites. It's the Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record or HABS/HAER for short, and has everything from bridges to steel mills. You can search by keyword or just browse the extensive category listing. Sometimes there are even plan drawings. It's an amazing site!

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/hhhtml/hhhome.html

:thumb: Val

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Val

Add me to the list of your worshipers. What a great site. I could waste hours on it at work and it would be counted as work! I wouldn't want to do it at home; it would interfere with my model railroad time.:D

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Val, you just got one more worshipper! :wave: :wave: :wave:

After only 10 minutes of browsing I found three pics which solved two problems with the layout of water tanks on my chemical plant and the transition of the scenery into the backdrop.

Wow, wow and wow again! Thanks a lot for that hint! :) :) :)

Ron