Some folks never learn

C

Catt

Train Taunter Hit by Locomotive

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

An angry, wheelchair-bound Wisconsin man who enjoys flipping off freight trains may have to cut back on his hobby — one of the trains hit him.

Leland Laird, 54, was at his customary position, middle finger proudly aloft, next to the train tracks in Appleton at about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday evening, reports the Appleton Post-Crescent.

That's when a Canadian National (search) engine's gas tank clipped Laird's wheelchair, sending him tumbling to the ground.

Laird, who suffered only mild cuts and abrasions, told police he was paralyzed by a train that hit his car in 1989 — but that wasn't the reason he liked shooting them the bird.

"He was upset by the horns," Appleton Police Lt. Pat Matuszewski told the newspaper. "He lives right near the intersection. That's his way of addressing the loud horns blowing."

Engineers and conductors are apparently used to seeing Laird's finger flag flying high and consider him a "regular."

The Canadian National train stopped after hitting Laird's chair while police responded. Laird was given a ticket for being a pedestrian in violation of traffic signals.

Cops suggested that Laird make his grievances known in a more polite manner.

"We'll put him in touch with the right people to make sure his concerns are heard," Matuszewski told the newspaper.

F

Fred_M

They should make him pay for the scratch he put on the locomotive. They made my neighbor pay for damage to a loco when he ran his tractor loader into the side of it "by accident". Fred

That poor guy needs our sympathy!! :eek:
Can you imagine living with all that anger all the time? What a life!
I wonder if he reacts to model railroaders the same way?? :D :D

I have to do a certain amount of "anger management" myself,
but the older I get, the better I get at dealing with it. :eek:ops: :eek:ops:
Some folks like that are hard to understand, it does seem like he's had
every chance to learn a lesson, but "jist cain't git it" :D :D :D

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
N Gauger said:
I wonder if this wuill win the "Darwin Award" this year. :)

Unfortunately, the "Gentleman" (and I use that term loosely) can only qualify for an "Honorable Mention" as, according to the Darwin Awards site, actual Darwin Awards are only given out posthumously. In other words, to quote: "The Darwin Awards honor those who improve our gene pool... By removing themselves from it" and the individual in question is still around to talk about it.
In all probability, the trains were there first and he, like many others seem to think that the railroads (not to mention Airports, Industrial Sites, etc) need to either change or move in order that they can move in and enjoy their new surroundings at the expense of those who were there first and owe their livelihoods to those established Businesses.
:rolleyes:

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Having been an engineer, and you can call me insensitive or what, but I cannot feel for the guy. It is never our fault that we hit someone or something, we have the right of way, always!!! Anyone on or near the tracks is trespassing and they deserve what they get, I swallowed my heart many of times, it's a wonder I didn't have a heart attack over some of the stupidity of people. The only thing I didn't like was seeing small children, who didn't know any better or a school bus not the kids fault they're not driving. I have been shot at, had bricks come through the windshield, etc., so I can't feel for anyone getting hit on the tracks, too bad for them!! I hit a few. Sorry but that's the way I feel.:(

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
It is my understanding that there is NO engineer that hasn't hit someone or something in there careers. Some people just can't seem to get it, THE TRAINS CANNOT STOP TO AVOID YOU. I am sure they feel bad about it but it is not their fault. Hell it scares me to get close to the tracks to take pictures!! :eek: (20 feet) :wave: Jim

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
jmarksbery said:
TRAINS CANNOT STOP TO AVOID YOU. I am sure they feel bad about it but it is not their fault. Hell it scares me to get close to the tracks to take pictures!! :eek: (20 feet) :wave: Jim

This is why my choice is to take pictures from a Bridge over the tracks, No danger of getting run over there!

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
Wait, what are you telling me? :confused: You mean to tell me that the engineer isn't going to swerve to miss me? This is rediculous. LOL

It really amazes me the things that people do, and I though yes, I feel bad for this guy and his stupidity, but I would have to agree with NYC-BKO in saying that he deserved it.

Freelancer