Smoke box color

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Glen Haasdyk, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

Does anyone know of a good smokebox color? I'm looking for the darker gray/ Graphite color for several Steam engines that I'll be painting over the next little while.:confused:
    Thanks
  2. Freelancer

Freelancer Member

The only thing that I have used is graphite and linseed oil, but that was on the real thing.

Freelancer
  3. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

I'll bet you can get what you want if you take some testors silver, add a few drops of black to darken it, then dullcoat it after brushing it on. Then you can blacken it with drybrushed flat black in spots or whereever/however they get blackened in use. How do they get blackened in use? I'm new to steam weatherin'. So new I haven't started yet.
  4. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Check out the Model Masters line of metallic paints. There are a couple that should appeal to you.
  5. Flangehead

Flangehead Member

I've been using Polly Scale flat aluminum. I brush it on, then over over it with a light airbrushing of Floquil (are they still around?)engine black to weather to taste.
    The picture is of an engine with a freshly shopped appearance. On some of my other engines, the aluminum color barely shows through to reflect hard use.

Attached Files:

6. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I've used this formula since I was a teenager 30+ years ago, 1 part Testor's Flat Black mixed with 2 parts Testor's silver.

Attached Files:

7. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

Thanks everyone. I used the testors silver/flat black mix and it's going to work out fine. I'll just weather it a bit to tone the silver down now.
  8. Blake

Blake Member

The best color that I have found for a graphite smoke box is Testor's Model Master metalizer called "exhaust". After it dries you can buff it and it looks nice. Also their "gunmetal" works well for Russian Iron.