Smiths Falls Scherzer Rolling Lift Bridge

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Approach to the bridge. The pictures are taken from an island that is in the middle of the Rideau Canal. It is an interesting juxtaposition of two major forms of transportation, both of which are now past...

Attachments

• bridge 02 lo-res.jpg
    bridge 02 lo-res.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 271

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by interurben
Great shots Andrew, wish I could have visited the Museum, last year on our way to Ottawa Railfair.:(
One day:D
One Day;)

Thanks Chris... I will post some pictures of the museum tomorrow -- I took 75 shots on the weekend, and it is too much work to post them all at once.

Railfair seems early this year (18-19 October), so the museum may still be open on weekends.

Andrew

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
Now, watch out how you talk to those rails! Those rails are very sacred. Some of them are off the old Brockville, Westport & Sault Ste Marie Railway (it never made it to the Soo). The guard rails that were removed from the other bridge were also BW&SSM Camell Sheffield Steel 1886. Where did they disappear to?

If you want to know more about the B&W, visit my website.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Railwaybob, I just had a look through your web site,, very well done.
The Loco that was built at the " Manchester works", I use to drive the bus past the workshops, and many a time we were held up while Pickford movers moved a huge steam engine out .
That was 1965, OOOOO Dear where is me walking stick.:(
They closed the shop soon after.

cobra

Dec 11, 2003
belle river , Ontario
Visit site
Hello Andrew , I'm new to the scene here and in looking for ideas on my bascule bridge which I need for the effect although the bridge will be unpowered , I came across your photos . Just what I need to plan the scene . Thanks . COBRA

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Cobra,

Glad you liked the photos, and welcome to The Gauge!

As I understand it, it took very little power to raise or lower this bridge, as it is very well balanced. I don't know if a person could move it, but it did not take much. Of course, it is braced and probably welded in the open position now, but it would have been something to see...

It is interesting that the picture shows two major modes of transportation in one place. This is because the bridge is crossing the Rideau Canal. Canals were supposed to be the answer to transport, but the canal never really saw all that much traffic in the end. The railways came along shortly after the canal was completed, and no one ever proposed another canal to Ottawa ;)

Andrew

cobra

Dec 11, 2003
belle river , Ontario
Visit site
Thanks for the additional info , Andrew , ever little bit helps when trying to recreate this thing for my '50's era CPR layout . I'm looking in particular at the decking and how everything else weathered .....cement and iron. The one shot almost looks like H.O. railjoiners ! Wonder if they are soldered in ??:D :D . I won't be motorizing my bridge as it sit at one end of the layout near a painted on the backdrop inlet . The supposed inlet is for my Edmund Fitzgerald to access the ore dock . My only concern is that the bridge is single track and the mainline is double so there will be some traffic control necessary . Thanks again ...COBRA

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Welcome to the Gauge cobra
Sounds like an interesting project you are working on.
You mention that the bridge only has one line while the main track is double. I situation exists like that here in Georgetown where the double track CN line passes through. When it gets to the Credit River the bridge built in the 1850's only has a single track and at times is quite a bottleneck. I guess the bridge as it stands, can't have another track added and it is probably far too costly to replace the bridge

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Robin: I think the whole CN Toronto bypass line qualifies as "single track with passing sidings". Whereever CN had to build a bridge, i.e. over a river, it was single track. Where someone else paid for the bridge, i.e. highway grade separation, it was double track. The one over Queen Street in Brampton is double width but being between 2 river bridges, only one track was laid.
When they built the new track on the bypass over the Humber, they used gantlet track -- 4 rails but not much wider than single track.
Cobra: I have a few photos of CPR in eastern Ontario in the late '50s if you're interested. Some of them have already been posted here.

cobra

Dec 11, 2003
belle river , Ontario
Visit site
So far the Canadian area of the Forum looks quite active , and I certainly appreciate the details that Andrew , Robin and David have been sending along . I'm in the Essex area and , sad to say , have not done any railfanning in your area although you aren't far .
My H.O. layout , under construction , is a ficticious scenario with CPR in a heavy industrial setting , namely steel ,and I have taken a few liberties .For instance I like Shay's , I mean really LIKE Shays so have inserted one in my setting even though I can't trace a Shay to a Canadian steel setting . There was one in Seattle at Hofius Steel ....close enough for me . My ore is supplied by the ' Fitz ' and a lime kiln and coal mine supply the other basic ingredients . I have obtained most of what I need but now the real work begins . Digitrax will power the layout ( decoders are installed but track is not finished ) . I'll keep an eye on this Forum for other ideas . Thank you all , gentlemen . NEIL