Slow moving, dirty train

pettiger15

Nov 30, 2006
I recently found two older trains i had like about 10 years ago, and got into this hobby again. I don't much about it, but it is a dc train, an n scale, and looks like an old steam train. I cleaned the track and tried to clean the wheels, but the wheel don't look dirty, just a silver color. My problem is when it place it on the track it hardly moves at all, I have to kind of push it on its side for it to make a good contact with the rails but it won't go on it own, i really want to make this work, anyone have any ideas?

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
Others know more about this than I do, but I'll try to help. First, when they have been stored a long time the lube kind of hardens. Use an oil that is plastic compatible. Turn the loco up-side down and touch the leads to the wheels. If you get a hum, the motor is trying to go. Use a toothpick or pin and touch it in a drop of oil, then touch it to moving parts. It takes VERY little oil. If you can get to the motor, touch the armature ends with oil. Then, to get it started, if the motor is getting power, see which way the wheels would turn, then with power, try to turn the wheels in that direction, helping the motor to get them started. Once they start turning on their own, they will get faster and smoother. All this is without taking it apart. That is a whole new story, especially with steamers.

Good luck
Lynn

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Dakota train said:
Sounds like the motor needs to be lubed. Might as well take it all apartyo clean and lube the drivetrain too. Hope this helps.:wave:

For someone who is a bit of a newby, if he can get everything freed up without taking the locomotive apart, it is better. Diesels are easy, but the valve gear on a steamer can be difficult to deal with if he hasn't had much experience.