Simple Wiring Idea

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by 77railer, Jan 14, 2005.

1. 77railer

77railer Member

I was wondering....can I run a "main" wire around my layout and splice into it hear and there to run power various places to my track? Not cut thru the main wire just the insulation and soder a wire to it and then the track? Or is there another method that is easier?

77Railer
  2. hminky

hminky Member

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

That's exactly how I plan on doing my wiring. I even bought some Liquid Tape to re-insulate the solder joints instead of using regular electrical tape.
    Doc
  4. jetrock

jetrock Member

That's a very common method of layout wiring--especially with DCC.
  5. 77railer

77railer Member

Thanks...Im just running two twisted ovals so it should work fine for me as well. Yall are great...

77Railer
  6. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

wiring

These newbies are exactly what I need. These (brain) cells are as ancient as my decrepit bones. It never crossed my (mind) to run wires around the track and connect ocassionally. I thought I'd run seperate wires to different places. Not that I'm ignernt, just stoopid. At this rate I'll learn a bit if I live long enough.

Lynn
  7. Connor

Connor Member

Wouldn't it be better to use saddle splices? (Those little blue suit case looking connectors that go over 1 wire and you splice in the second one. I find these very effective and easy to use.
  8. billk

billk Active Member

Better? It's certainly an alternative method, but like a lot of other things one method being "better" than another depends on one's personal preferences and experience.
  9. grumbeast

grumbeast Member

the little saddle splices are really easy to use, I've gone back to splicing and soldering just because it was cheaper than buying the little boxes.