Simple type electrification

TEP 60

May 1, 2005
Are any producers, out of Sommerfeldt, producing simple (tram) type electrification in H0?

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Maybe I am not sure what you mean by simple (tram) construction catenary... Catenary overhead is the more complex type, with two wires--one hanging between the poles, another lower wire hanging from support wires. Trolley overhead is the simpler kind, just a simple wire instead of a catenary support system.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Richard Orr makes (or at least used to make) various components for trolley track (girder rail) and overhead. If I remember correctly, some of his products included overhead pan/frog castings and hangers.

A quick Google search turned up the following article on trolley construction: http://www.trolleyville.com/tv/school/catenary_construction/index.shtml

Also, I found out that the Richard Orr line had been sold to Custom Traxx - their web site is at http://home.earthlink.net/~traxx/link.htm

Hope this helps

yours in overhead wiring

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Girder rail was used by trolley systems to protect the flangeways of track in the streets. It basically had a cup added to the inside of the rail for the wheel flange to ride in. See the links I gave you for more info.

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Girder Rail

Hi TEP,

Like pgandw said, Girder Rail forms a flangeway for the trolley wheels.

But, Girder Rail isn't always used on tangent (Straight) track. The Flangeways can be formed with cobble stones, concrete, asphalt and other materials.

The Girder Rails are most important in turnouts and tight curves. It acts as a built-in guard or check rail to hold the wheel flange and keep the trolley from derailing.

Prototype railroads rarely used a turnout with a lower frog # than 6. And this was for yards and seldom used sidings. For mainline traffic, the frog #'s were much higher.

For Traction/Trolley lines, the frogs could be #4 and still allow a Trolley to go through them quickly because the Girder Rail helped to keep the wheels on the rails.

Check out the Proto87 Webpage Video to see what Girder Rail can do!