Simple Submarine From The Past

goose814

Jul 10, 2021
So, I was recently cleaning out my attic and came across a couple of submarine paper models I built over 40 years ago when I was a teenager. I haven't done any kind of modeling for quite some time due to a lack of time dealing with the house, cars, wife, kids, etc. I finally have some time to spare, so after finding these old models, I figured I would dip my foot back in the water and build something simple such as this sub. I've also never documented a build before, so I might as well try my hand at that also. Anyway, the model is about 6 inches in length, so I might try enlarging it to 12 inches. The plans and instructions came from a book that I'm still looking for (yes, it's somewhere in the attic). Once I find it, I hope to get started soon. Here are pictures of the models. One was built as a German u-boat and one as a US fleet boat. Remember, they're 40 years old and have been through several moves, so they're a bit worse for wear.

Attachments

• 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 10

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
40 years old and in this shape nice work. I hope you will find the templates.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
For being 40 year old models, they still look very good. When (and if) you find the old templates, may I suggest that you scan them into your computer, print out new templates and build the scanned copies. This will allow you a few options. 1) If you make a mistake, you can print out more parts to fix the mistake. 2) you can print out the template again and build more subs. 3) you will still have to old template as a "collectors' piece.

goose814

Jul 10, 2021
For being 40 year old models, they still look very good. When (and if) you find the old templates, may I suggest that you scan them into your computer, print out new templates and build the scanned copies. This will allow you a few options. 1) If you make a mistake, you can print out more parts to fix the mistake. 2) you can print out the template again and build more subs. 3) you will still have to old template as a "collectors' piece.
Thanks for the kind words. And yes, I was planning on doing just that. Actually, when I originally built them, I just made paper copies of the templates from the book they are from since back then there weren't any scanners (or home computers). Speaking of, once I find the book (hopefully later today or tomorrow) is it permissible to post the templates and instructions here?

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Thanks for the kind words. And yes, I was planning on doing just that. Actually, when I originally built them, I just made paper copies of the templates from the book they are from since back then there weren't any scanners (or home computers). Speaking of, once I find the book (hopefully later today or tomorrow) is it permissible to post the templates and instructions here?
IF you asking if it is acceptable to upload the template and instructions to the resource section, so long as the company that published the template is no longer in business (or another company owns the rights to the template), by all means, please do. You can upload the .rar file here: https://www.zealot.com/resources/categories/ships.50/
If you have problems and need help with it, please send me a PM, and I will do what I can to help you.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I really like your project. With the new template incoming this story comes full circle. Great idea! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. :)

Reactions: mijob

goose814

Jul 10, 2021
I finally found the book. I plan on scanning the relevant templates later today. They are just black line drawings on the pages and originally the model was painted after construction but I'm considering coloring the templates in Photoshop after scanning them. That way they're pre-colored and won't require painting. Here's the book:

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 2

goose814

Jul 10, 2021
IF you asking if it is acceptable to upload the template and instructions to the resource section, so long as the company that published the template is no longer in business (or another company owns the rights to the template), by all means, please do. You can upload the .rar file here: https://www.zealot.com/resources/categories/ships.50/
If you have problems and need help with it, please send me a PM, and I will do what I can to help you.
The book was published by Sterling Publishing Company in 1970. I did some research and found that Barnes & Nobles acquired them in 2003 and they were rebranded as Union Square & Co. in 2022. From what I found, works published after 1923, but before 1978 are protected for 95 years from the date of publication. I myself don't have an issue posting just the templates but I don't wish to put the website in any jeopardy, so I defer to their decision on whether or not to do so.

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
Good to hear you found the templates. And Im looking forward to see your coloured templates.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I finally found the book. I plan on scanning the relevant templates later today. They are just black line drawings on the pages and originally the model was painted after construction but I'm considering coloring the templates in Photoshop after scanning them. That way they're pre-colored and won't require painting. Here's the book:
The book was published by Sterling Publishing Company in 1970. I did some research and found that Barnes & Nobles acquired them in 2003 and they were rebranded as Union Square & Co. in 2022. From what I found, works published after 1923, but before 1978 are protected for 95 years from the date of publication. I myself don't have an issue posting just the templates but I don't wish to put the website in any jeopardy, so I defer to their decision on whether or not to do so.
Go ahead and upload your repainted templates to the resource section, if you wish. If anyone says anything, they can talk to me.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
A 10% change to the model makes it something else. You modify the conning tower, some of the framing, and the overall shape a little, and you will have a new model. This also is how many people learn how to design their own models. ;)

Reactions: mijob

goose814

Jul 10, 2021
A 10% change to the model makes it something else. You modify the conning tower, some of the framing, and the overall shape a little, and you will have a new model. This also is how many people learn how to design their own models. ;)
Thanks, that's good to know. After starting to paint it, I decided to go in two different directions like I did originally. One, a German u-boat and two, a US fleet boat. To do that, I want to alter some of the parts to make them slightly more accurate, so that will help it fall into "something else". I'm hoping to be able to print it out in a day or two and start the construction, so I'll be able to have some photos posted soon. Thanks everyone for the interest.

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
A great story and nice to see the subs survived for all this time, I look forward to seeing you build a new one to add to the flotilla

goose814

Jul 10, 2021
A great story and nice to see the subs survived for all this time, I look forward to seeing you build a new one to add to the flotilla
Thanks very much.

I finished the majority of the painting and printed on regular paper to see how everything matches. Originally, I split the templates between two pages but one of them wouldn't fit on the 8" x 11.5" sheets I was using so I went with three pages. After printing some test sheets and checking the fit, I found that some of the parts were much larger than the rest, so I need to rescale them to the proper size and try again. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have better luck and take a few photos to post.

goose814

Jul 10, 2021
So I finally was able to rescale the one page to match the scale of the other, which allowed me to fit everything on two pages. The original prints only had one drawing for each piece so you had to make duplicates for those that needed it. On the new templates, I added all the duplicate pieces on the page. I still need to tweak the new templates to take into account some of the parts that need to be colored on both sides. I did some already that when cut out, will be folded so that both sides are colored but there are a few more I need to change. I may also add some more small details to flesh the model out a little more, but I'll need to assemble it to check fitment and sizing. These initial ones are just on regular paper to check fitting. Once I check everything, I'll reprint it on heavier card paper and post the final templates.

Attachments

• IMG_20231130_235715.jpg
    IMG_20231130_235715.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20231130_235729.jpg
    IMG_20231130_235729.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

goose814

Jul 10, 2021
As a comparison, here are the original prints from the book. The original models I made 40 years ago were just direct printed copies of these drawings. The length of these drawings as well as my models ended up being about 6.25". I enlarged the new templates to fit on a full 8.5" x 11" page, so the new model will end up being about 10.25" long.

Attachments

• IMG_20231130_235819.jpg
    IMG_20231130_235819.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20231130_235853.jpg
    IMG_20231130_235853.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 2

goose814

Jul 10, 2021
In case anyone is wondering, the arrows around some of the parts designate how the grain of the paper is supposed to run. There was a chapter at the beginning of the book that explained the types of materials, tools, construction techniques, grain orientation, etc. to be used to help build the models.