Signs painted on walls

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Here's a great little idea for pre-weathering signs if you have Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

1) First I scanned the side of the building I want the sign to go on. That's to get the exact brick texture

2) then I create the artwork for the sign in Illustrator, and import to P'shop

3) In my Photoshop file I have the following layers from the bottom to the top:
a - brick texture
b - sign art - darken 80% opacity
c - sign art duplicate - lighten 50% opacity
d - texture layer - overlay 100% opacity

And here is the result - a perfectly weathered sign that exactly matches the brickwork of the building it's on.

This one is for a City Classics building. Feel free to download and use this sign if you want to.

Val

Attachments

• gelber.jpg
    gelber.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 359

FiatFan

Jul 16, 2004
Outstanding work! Take the rest of the day off and play with trains.
thumbsup.gif

Tom

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Very nice Val. I will have to try my Corel Xara program to see if I can do it too. I don't want to spend the money on Photo shop. Too expensive for how much I would use it.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Now I copy the artwork into a layer in the Photoshop file that has my brick texture and past it on top. I want the brick texture to show through, so I set the layer to "darken" and it will add to what's underneath.

Here's the layer palette, and what the image looks like at this point.

Attachments

• layer1.jpg
    layer1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 338
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 333

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Now for the texture. I downloaded this photo of a concrete wall which had the texture I was looking for. Then pasted it into another layer in my P'shop file and set it to "overlay".

Attachments

• concrete.jpg
    concrete.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 320
  • layer3.jpg
    layer3.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 324

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
As you can see, the concrete image goes from light to dark, so I copied that layer, flipped it 180 degrees and set that layer to overlay as well - giving a more uniform look. And the final result is the image at the beginning of this thread.

Fun, huh?

Val

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
By the way, that sign is based on a real one. It's from the website of a Toronto photographer, so for copyright reasons I won't post it. But you can check out the original sign on his website here

There are lots of other painted signs on the site - it's great inspiration!

Val

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Pat, see the first page of this thread about halfway down. I have posted the step by step process that I used to create the sign. If you don't have Adobe Photoshop it may be a bit confusing, but basically I am using the Layers feature which allows one layer to affect those below it.
Example: I have a brick texture on the bottom layer. If I simply paste the sign on top of this, the brick texture is covered by the artwork and you can't see it. By putting the sign art on a different layer, and telling that layer to "darken" the one below it, it combines with the brick texture in such a way that both are visible.
Does that help?

Val