See Threepio: 1/6th Scale … ish

lfriesen

Jul 20, 2023
I’ve always wanted to build paper action figures ever since my youth when my parents would refuse me extra money to go out and buy the toys. It was something I could never master by scratch but these days templates can be found to help with that. This C-3PO template was a bit short for the 12” action figure scale so he looks kind of odd standing next to my R2-D2 build but he was still an interesting build himself. I first started with a test build to scout out opportunities to greeble in points of articulation for a later build that would be more toy like.

Attachments

• IMG_2832.jpeg
    IMG_2832.jpeg
    379.6 KB · Views: 12

lfriesen

Jul 20, 2023
I then moved on to a colour build but this time I printed using a colour laser printer with normal bond paper rather than card stock. My hope was that the curves of the model would be more manageable. My goal was to add as many points of articulation as possible and to have the ability to seat the figure. Some joints were harder than others. For instance, the elbow joints required that I build an actual working piston to allow the arms to move. The knees were fun too having to build a series of rings attached to both the upper and lower legs rotating around the knee hub. It was also important to be able to pivot the ankles on two planes to allow the model to stand on its own.

Attachments

• IMG_2833.jpeg
    IMG_2833.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2834.jpeg
    IMG_2834.jpeg
    323.4 KB · Views: 4

lfriesen

Jul 20, 2023
And finally I had a figure that could be seated at the space chess table! Having him be able to sit meant I needed to add an extra POA in the legs allowing the lower legs to be perpendicular to the floor. In the end, I had 20 points of articulation.

Attachments

• IMG_2835.jpeg
    IMG_2835.jpeg
    405.8 KB · Views: 6

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
All looks so crisp and clear. And working joints thats a very nice add on this model. You did a great job.

Reactions: lfriesen

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That is one excellent model. The fact that is articulates really makes it stand out. Excellent!! :)

Reactions: lfriesen and mijob