scratchbuilt Spanish cruiser Infanta Maria Teresa

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by paperboy, Nov 5, 2006.

1. paperboy

paperboy Member

Just a little post to let ya'll know that I haven't chucked the model. I've been playing with making stairs for the gun deck and i still haven't built all the 5.5 2ndary guns and shields yet. maybe this weekend. I added a pic of the fore deck with main gun and an overall pic of the ship for all's enjoyment.

Vernon

Attached Files:

2. paperboy

paperboy Member

I've been working on making deck edge railing and bridge and deckhouse rails for the infanta and i'm having some problems. This is what i was doing. I cut each stanchion and using a surgical needle made a pilot hole and inserted the stanchion with a drop of CA and let it cure overnight, then using .012 bead stringing wire i tryed to attach the rails to the stanchions again using a drop of CA. It looks like if I do this it will have to be rail by rail if it will work.
    Right now the biggest problem is that some rails have come loose or are slightly off line. Does anyone have a good idea on how to help with this.

Vernon

Attached Files:

3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

deck rails the bane to all ship modelers!

What CA glue are you using.............. thin, medium or thick?

Try thick if you haven't. Also get some accelerator, it will help set the glue way, WAY quicker and allow you to make sure things stay straight while the glue sets. So far the accelerator I've has not ever effected the ink or the paper.

Hope this helps.

john
  4. swiftsword

swiftsword Member

I would use Nylon thread ( or regular black thread) instead of wire. I suspect the wire is to stiff to bend properly. Also, the thread you'll be able to wrap around stanchions once or twice, and then fix it with CA glue.

Cheers,

Oliver
  5. paperboy

paperboy Member

I did get a fine thread that is .008 which may do better. the wire is very flexible ,if I position the boat and put tension on the wire it holds ok
    I just read a post by Jim Krauzlis and i might try this on a duplicate bridge.

Thanks for yall's help
    Vern
  6. paperboy

paperboy Member

I made a jig to make rails with and on my first try out of about 18 possible inchs of rail I salvaged 1 or 2. Not so good but I tried a different thread and got about a foot of good railing. I worked on the aft deck enclosure and conn platform and have posted a picture of it. I also worked on the pinstriping at the waterline and deck line. It's still a work in progress.

Vernon

Attached Files:

7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

lookin great!
    Chris
  8. Gregory Shoda

Gregory Shoda Member

scratchbuilding Infanta Marie Teresa

Nobody does scratchbuilding rails easily or (usually) well. It is harder than it looks. Thats why there is a ready market for laser cut ones. But yours look good.

I am looking forward to your updates on this very interesting project.
  9. paperboy

paperboy Member

Hi Guys
    I posted pics of the jig and the rails that came off of it and a few pics of the bridge w the new rails. I hope to make a set for the fore and aft decks tonite along with the jack and flag staffs.

Vernon

Attached Files:

10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

that is really great! thanks for sharing your technique!
    Chris
  11. paperboy

paperboy Member

The credit goes to Jim krazlis . I used his instructions about the jig. It was easy to make out of hobby aircraft poplar and with the pieces on the corners is very strong. I'm able to make 2 strands about 10 inches long.

Vernon
  12. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Nope, the credit goes to you...your rails came out great!
    I love the way this build is coming out!

Keep it up!

Cheers!
    Jim
  13. paperboy

paperboy Member

hi guys

I've done a little work today and have added the masts and fighting tops for test fit. also I put in the stair ways below deck. I've been building boats slowly and I'm test fitting the rails to hold the ships boats. I'll post pics when I get these things done hopefully late tomorrow. Thanks for all the encouragement.

Vernon

Attached Files:

14. barry

barry Active Member

That is really looking good the stairs are brilliant
  15. eibwarrior

eibwarrior Member

This is really coming into focus now. Great looking ship!

This is another example of how you can build with card and it look like another medium. Outstanding work.
  16. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I wholehearted agree with eibwarrior...she continues to evolve into an outstanding model!

I love the look of these older steamships, particularly the early warships; there's just something about them that I find attractive and very interesting.

Great job and I'm really looking forward to more as you continue with this thread.

Cheers!

And Happy New Year!!
    Jim
  17. paperboy

paperboy Member

Hi All
    I haven't been able to get much work done due to work and family but I was able to build the boat rails over the decks. they can be removed for work that I'll do underneath but are complete except for painting. I also made the winch for the anchors and put rails in place on the foredeck. I've started making ships boats. In the first pic you can see two of them and am drawing the largest gig. I'll post more after I install the 5.5 secondary battery,anchors and redraw the bow scroll.

Vernon

Attached Files:

18. Gregory Shoda

Gregory Shoda Member

Infanta Maria Teresa

Wow! Your ship is really taking shape. Nice work.
  19. paperboy

paperboy Member

Ok, I've been able to pick up work on the Infanta and wanted to post a few pics of her. I hope you all like it.

Vernon

Attached Files:

20. nibel

nibel Member

I can hardly believe this is scratch built! It looks so professional!