Scratch built fish cannery

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Been a while since I had time to browse The Gauge. Man a lot of good stuff has been added.
I really like the Scratchin -n- Bashin section. I've never been able to build anything the way the kit manf. intended , so everything I do is bashed or scratch. Some folks say cobbled would be more apt tho.
Here is a couple pics (I hope) of the Ramona Bay Fishermans Collective that I scratched for the S.N.O.B.'s Tule Springs & Western Railroad.
I used Scribed wood over a stryene core. The shingles are cedar cigar wrapper , applied one by one, windows are Grandt line with microscope slide glass panes. There is an operating wall clock in the office on the left side, the screen door has actual screen in it .( It was made out of the filter screen of an old GM auto-transmission --super fine stuff!! They don't use it anymore now they are some kind of foam stuff, try an old trans shop they may have some old ones left -thats where I found this one)
The open door on the right side has a simulated Arc welder working inside , not flashing lights but a rig that puts out sparks like welding slag along with the welding arc.
The last thing I'm gonna mention is the working brass carved weather-vane, a swordfish. Hope I haven't bragged too much.

Dave

n-scaler-dude

Nov 22, 2002
Lebanon, MO
Visit site
...and I thought I was being innovative by using cedar cigar wrappers for wood supplies:( .

I guess nothing is new under the sun;) .

The cannery looks real cool!. It's scratchbuilt structures like your's, and most of the others' here as well, that provides inspiration for us amateurs.:)

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Richard,

There are many things "olde" that are forgotton , then rediscovered, some by remembering ,others by one like yourself thru imagination & viewing things not for what they are but what they could be.
There is a book that was printed by M/Railroader called 1001 tips for model railroaders ( perhaps it was some other number 700 or 850 , I don't remember for sure) any way, if you could find a copy of this long out of print book, it contains many-many- ideas & hints for modeling that are still viable today, Of course a good number are no longer valid, for a number of reasons, example using carbon-tet for cleaning!!! , or making "tin"
roofing out of LEAD Foil tooth paste tubes!!
Another thing to remember we ALL made our first model sometime, so no one was not at one time a beginner.

Dave

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
A fabulous bit of "cobling" you've done there Dave!

It's so full of character. It has all the ingredients.. contour, colour and texture. Simply great!

Do you have any others you can inspire us with?

Errol

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Great work!

Great modelling Dave. What really adds another layer of realism is the way you've used all those different sizes and even styles of window. And that complicated roof-line is just excellent!

cheers
:D Val

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Another thing to remember we ALL made our first model sometime, so no one was not at one time a beginner.

Dave,
First, beautiful work!
Second, in a forum like this it's good to once in a while, remind ourselves of our own beginnings. The people, new to the hobby, who are awed by some of the fine modeling, need to be encouraged by the fact that we didn't start out building models as fine.
I gave up scratch building. Everytime I tried it turned out like a piece of junk or like a 1st grader built it.

Clerk,
At some point, every 1st grader, graduates from highschool!
Scratch building is relatively simple, you build each piece of the final model, and then you assemble it, just as you would a kit, or add each piece as it is finished. Either way, it's the piece your building each time you sit down to work. When the pieces are done, the model is done.
Pete

n-scaler-dude

Nov 22, 2002
Lebanon, MO
Visit site
dave - Thanks for the tip on the MR'ing book. I've collected alot of instructionals, and read most of them, prior to actaully starting on this venture, but that is one I don't have. I will surely look for it.

My first actual scratchbuilt structure, which I am working on now, is made almost entirely of strips cut from those cigar wrappings. Mostly because that is what I had around the house.

You can see the progress of it, so far, in my thread "My first model RR project", in the N/Z threads.

I've since added siding and am getting ready to shingle (one shingle at a time).

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Oh that's neat! I really like the unique shape of the building and details like the shingles and that great weather vane! I also like the tanks on the roof. Lots of character!
Ralph

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Dave, thats some great modelling/scratchbuilding you have done, I like that a lot.
Shamus
wink.gif