Scenic find at local Dollarama

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
He have a chain of stores here in Canada called Dollarama. My wife loves this place, but I always thought it was just for real cheap stuff as everything costs $1.00.

I take it all back, I just spent $8.00 in there for model RR scenic material. They have a line called "Decorative Gravel".

I picked up 4 bottles of silver grey gravel, 2 bottles of sand coloured, one light blue (I have an idea for the bottom of my rivers) and one bottle of black (that is all they have).

Each bottle is 670g (approx. 1.5lbs) for a buck.

They had coarse and fine. The fine look like N Scale ballast, the coarse was almost HO Scale.

I picked up 7 bottles of fine for my N Scale and one bottle of coarse silver/gray for the gravel pit at Cataract.

I mentioned it at the RR Club tonight and now all the guys are running to Dollarama. Lucky thing is though, the club is in Bracebridge and I am in Huntsville (30KM apart) the guys will be hitting the Bracebridge store, so I get to clear out the Huntsville store by myself. [:D]

Just thought I would pass along this bargain.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
We have 99 cent stores and Greenback's, but neither carry anything like this. Wal-Mart has some stuff in their garden and pet dep'ts that can be used for scenery.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
I did post this before, but look out for bird's sand in pet shops. Depending on the shop, there are several hues, as well as several grades of coarseness. I found it to be great for ballast, the finer grades for N, the coarser ones for H0.

However it's 100 % more expensive than one dollar! About $2 :eek: for 1.5 kg (approx. 3lbs). :D :D :D

Ron

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Thats great Will, we have a £1 shop, and I picked up a complete screwdriver set (10 piece) plus 5 DVD's (Films) and a pack of 3 masking tapes for £6 only yesterday.
Shamus