Saturday 9-16 Town Names???

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I don't have but one town, but that and most businesses and points of interest are all named for those people and things that mean a lot to us. The unfinished half of my layout, I'm going to have to start getting a bit creative there, since I'm modeling no specific place or era, It'll have names to go along those lines.... fantesy:D

C

Catt

I name my towns and my various businesses after family and friends. :D

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
I look for names that make the location quite obvious it's in California.

Like Arguello, the real POINT Arguello has a beautiful lighthouse along the rocky central california coast, exactly where I model!

Orange, was my birth town, and to me, to makes sense that orange would be surrounded by orange groves!

Industries are named from two of three peoples names, like J.M. Stewart Scrap& salvage, named for my gandfather, J.M. andStewart is my best friend's Middle name! :eek:ops: :)

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I use the names of family and friends...Clayton (my father), Bethel Forge (run in of my sister's first and middle names), Albertsonville (my father's firehouse nickname referencing me as his son to obtain a town name that sounded like one with a Civil War history). The rest'll find homes on businesses.

Jac's Lines

Jan 28, 2005
Rochester, NY
I do a mix of freelanced names and names of people that I know.

I had a friend once who had named everything on his fictional branchline of the Detroit, Toledo and Ironton after things related to the Detroit Tigers. The towns and big industries were things like Cobb's Hill, Corktown (the neighborhood where old Tiger stadium was), and my personal favorite, the Alkaline Chemical Company. Business were named after members of the '84 world series team (I specifically remember there was a leather goods producer named after Lou Whitaker and Alan Trammell). It was subtle enough that most people who saw his layout never "got" it.

Whatever is printed on the station building...:rolleyes:

Depot2.jpg

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Everything is named for my kids...the lake, businesses (if not already named by some billboard), hills and turns. If they help me build it - they get their name on it. But I'm thinking about naming the whole layout after the town I live in thereby creating a ficticious branch off Norfolk Southern's Charlotte, NC main line...it will/might be called the "Ballantyne Branch". Not exactly a catchy ring to it...maybe I'll keep thinking.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Tombstone was taken so after coming up with the theme for the BAD Western, I needed towns beginning with B and D. Mrs. Doc's maiden name is Bovee so that was easy. After application of a little alcohol, Defiance poped out of my brain as appropriate for a wild west cowtown.
Doc

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Real town names. But I try to get comical with business names or other references(Sienfeld fans....Cramerica...Costanza Architecture), Fullards Oil, and other play on words that I can't use here..

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I use real names but I am not making any replicas of place.

My passenger station is called Castle Rock which is named after an amusement park that used to exist along the Philadelphia & West Chester Traction Company's West Chester Line. The park is long gone.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Some family names on locations, some model rr friends for industries... And some plans are to model actual places, so I'll have to use the real name ;)

'Marlpost' is the name of my main town, which is named after the house my grandfather lived in for most of his life, and where my father grew up. It is now a subdivision... :(

Andrew

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
I model a specific prototype so my layout uses real place-names. Because they are all in the same town I use the names of neighborhoods or streets: Haggin Yard, 17th & D, 31st Street, X Street.