Santa Fe F7

Paul K

Mar 23, 2005
California
Santa Fe F7

Greetings
wave.gif
I’m new to your forum and the hobby.

I would like some information about buying a good F7. I’m looking for one in Santa Fe silver and red Warbonnet colors.

F7.jpg

I see the Athearn Genesis on eBay but do they still sell them new and is the Athearn Genesis a good brand?

Dick Elmore

Aug 22, 2003
Central Illinois
Visit site
:thumb: Paul...The Genesis engines are a nice choice. If you can't find any, you might try Intermountains F7. It's every bit as detailed and while it doesn't have
an interior, it does have lighted number boards. I believe they still make them and they also make a beautiful F3 in the War Bonnet paint. Whichever one you decide on, you can get it cheaper by going to the discount houses like Trainworld,
Toy Train Heaven, M.B. Klein (Trainstuff.com) or HObbiesUSA.com. Good to have you aboard.

Dick
Texas Chief

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
LiveSteamer said:
Paul those are some beautiful F Units :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Still wish the old 1st generation diesels were around though. They all were beautiful.

Two of the highlights of our vacation to Sedona last fall were riding the Verde Canyon Railroad behind a pair of Fp9's and then riding the Grand Canyon behind a pair of Alco Fa's.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I had posted a photo of these Alcos a couple years ago and someone informed me they were not FA's, and I do not remember what the proper model designation was, but it was the Canadian version by MLW (?)

Gary

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
They are MLW FP4A's, Canadian Passenger versions of FA's. Bought From Via Rail when Via upgraded it's fleet to F40PH's in 1986. orgininaly built in the late fifties for the CNR
Aparently they were kept in storage for quite awhile but maintained si they could go back in service if needed and capable of 90 MPH.

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
An additional note about the Grand Canyon FPA4's. Part of their fleet, an A and B unit came from the Portola Railroad museum. They were operable when they arrived in Portola IIRC and need little work to get up to speed. At one time Portola had them and an ex-Long Island FA-1 which was an exx-L&N unit. Since Portola is primarily a Western Pacific Museum it was felt that the Grand Canyon would be a good home for the FPA/B4's and it has. Santa Fe ran their passenger F units to the Canyon till that service ended. The PA's from Santa Fe made it there too, but were retired in 1969, IIRC. If you ever make it there, do ride the Grand Canyon Railway. Well done restoration of equipment, trackage and professionally operated. A step back into time, whether you ride behind the steam or diesel trains.

Greg