Robin's Outfitters

F

Fred_M

I have been wanting to do an Outfitters store in On30 set in the 1930s-40s era. I've always have enjoyed carving plaster. So I built a mold from legos and cast a building the other day after the wife went to work. (Imagine the loving suggestions I would get by using the grandkids legos to cast a plaster building in her kitchen. :eek: :eek: Scary ain't it?)

It came out really nice and a little hot water soak cleaned the legos right up. The building is 20 feet long, 9 feet wide, and the walls are just a tad over 8 feet tall. Now I need to let it dry a few days and then put in a floor and some roof beams in it to strengthen the casting before I start carving on it.

Attachments

• i4imold.jpg
    i4imold.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 288
  • c8ycasting.jpg
    c8ycasting.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 280
F

Fred_M

I then roughed out some window and dooor openings and started carving some stonework. I carve plaster with a small eyeglass screwdriver.

Attachments

• carving8er.jpg
    carving8er.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 273
F

Fred_M

After I finished carving I put on acrylic washes.

wash11zh.jpg

wash23dq.jpg

F

Fred_M

I then put up a ceiling for the porch.

Attachments

• porchroof.jpg
    porchroof.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 258
F

Fred_M

I printed the sign on the wood with my inkjet printer and stuck on a fish from the Hobby Lobby. Then built a frame for it.

Attachments

• sign7se.jpeg
    sign7se.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 257
F

Fred_M

Made rafters and attached them sfter putting hand made windows and doors in.

Attachments

• rafters8lm.jpg
    rafters8lm.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 276
F

Fred_M

Thanks guys, next I glue up shingles from 1/64 Birch "plywood".

Attachments

• shingles0ij.jpg
    shingles0ij.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 248
F

Fred_M

After both sides are glued up I glue them to the rafters and cap it with a old dried hollow weed cut to fit. I also added a plastic shingle which will become the smoke jack flange.

Attachments

• roof24td.jpg
    roof24td.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 247
F

Fred_M

Got these good ol' boys from Woodland Scenics. They seem expensive at $18 for the set, but you get 4 men, a dog, a barrel with checker set, and two crates all superbly painted. I call this the high stakes checker game, penny a checker.

Attachments

• thegame18xp.jpg
    thegame18xp.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 254
F

Fred_M

Thanks guys, but this store isn't done yet by any means. I'm gonna super detail it for you. :thumb: From now on we are in real time build mode. Tonite I put the smoke jack on and nastied it up a bit.

Attachments

• smokestack.jpg
    smokestack.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 139