Researching A Prototype

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by eightyeightfan1, Jul 2, 2006.

1. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Research can be a helpful tool when doing prototype modeling. I know...I know. You've all heard me say I'm not a big fan of prototype modelling. But since I was doing one for my scratchbuild challenge, it helped me out immensly.
    While studing the pic of Ore Hill depot, I noticed there was a shelf, with a barrel underneath. What was the shelf for? Paperwork? I also noticed that most of the old flagstops had the same detail. A shelf with a barrel underneath.....

Attached Files:

2. eightyeightfan1

Except maybe this one....
    The barrel was around the corner from the shelf. But the pic did yeild a clue what the barrel was used for.

Attached Files:

3. eightyeightfan1

So the barrel was used for fire. Still didn't explain the purpose of the shelf.
    Then I saw this picture.
    With the angle of the sun casting a shadow on the side of the building, it showed that there were two holes in the shelf.

Attached Files:

4. eightyeightfan1

OK....So what did the holes hold...Tools?
    Nope..This pic showed that the shelf held buckets. Ah...Now my research is complete!
    Fire buckets!. Made sense. Since a lot of flagstops were outside of the main town, or out in the middle of nowhere.

Attached Files:

5. eightyeightfan1

I also noticed that in alot of the pics, the buckets were missing. Tempting prize for a turn of the century homeowner. Probably also explained why a lot of the burned to the ground.
    Studing the pic of Ore Hill, I saw what I first thought was a discarded paint can.
    Could it be one of the missing buckets?

Attached Files:

6. eightyeightfan1

So...Looking at pic of buildings with simalar details helped me answer a question.
    Think I'm going prototype modelling.
    Don't bet the farm............