Replacement wheelsets for Older Athearn diesels...

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Could anyone direct me to the proper replacement NS wheelsets for the older Athearn deisels. There are at least 3 manufacturers but none is clear on whose fits the older metal framed trucks. Thanks for the help.

C

Catt

If my old and feeble memory serves me correctly I believe the older units use a wheel and axle assembly.The newer ones use stub axles and wheel sets.(they simply push into the drive gear).

I think NWSL has sets for the older units while the ones that Jay-Bee makes are for the newer units.

If all else fails you could call the respective companies and ask what fits what.

Nuther idea ,ya got a Walther's catalog. I think the wheels are listed by truck type in there or at least they used to be.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thanks, Johnathan. I have ye olde Walther's catalog but they're not clear as to which fits what. After you mentioned NWSL, I went to www.nwsl.com and found that they actually make them for both models. Not only that, they make them in 3 tread widths, .110", .088" and finescale. Choices, choices....

C

Catt

Ok you asked for it ,here it is.

atruck1.jpg

atruck2.jpg

Remove the two clips shown in the above pics and your trucks will come apart.Just use a small flat blade screwdriver to pry them off.

I would suggest that you do this using a cakepan if possible or you may end up losing some pieces.

I would also suggest that yoi avoid the finescale wheel sets unless you are building to PROTO-87 specs.

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
Does anyone have a Walthers Catalogue number for the 3 types of NWSL wheel sets.

I believe that Athearn wheels don't have the NMRA RP25 contour and hence is one of the reasons why Athearn 6-axle locos sometimes short out going over Peco Insulfrog turnouts on layouts powered by DCC.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Walther's doesn't carry all 3 and it's much easier to just order them from NWSL. I just did a looksee and the Athearn wheelsets do follow the NMRA standards. What probably is shorting your turnouts is the width of the Athearn wheels. It's a problem we have on the club layout and my own module. I plan on using the .088" size wheels to remedy this.

I guess I should have been more specific Johnathan, I have four wheel diesels (GP7s and 35s) and I'm having a bear of a time getting them off of the frame.

C

Catt

atruck3.jpg

All Athearn trucks mount this way.You pop this clip off and the truck WILL fall out of the frame.The clip is plastic and very springy.

<edit> spelling error I should have caught.