repaint

erie

Dec 6, 2006
lancaster sc
first time trying a repaint if the pics come out look at them and see where i can inprove took a southern caboose and repainted into erie

Attachments

• Picture 6.jpg
    Picture 6.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 86

erie

Dec 6, 2006
lancaster sc
Thanks now about the dull coat Im new to the repaint stuff dull coat now is that something you spray on after you paint it

erie

Dec 6, 2006
lancaster sc
In other words i couldnt use it now with all the decals on it.Im planing on takeing some old box cars i have an repaint them into 1950 1960 erie colors when i find out what color they were painted.Im color blind so that dosent help any

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Looks good. :thumb::thumb: The Dulcote (in a spray can or in a bottle, for airbrushing) is applied after you paint and letter the car (but before you put "glass" in the windows). ;) In addition to killing the shiny look, it gives a better "tooth" to the surface for weathering. If you use chalks for weathering, another spray over the chalk will help to fix it in place. Many modellers also like to apply another coat of Dulcote over any weathering, although I don't usually bother.
Erie boxcars in the '50s and '60s were generally boxcar red, although some had black ends/roofs and/or doors.

Wayne

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
As Doc said, Dullcote is perfectly suited for spraying over paint and new decals.
It can help hide any visible decal seams sometimes. I'm glad he mentioned installing window glazing last! Of course you could spray windows to get a dirty look to them. :)
Ralph

erie

Dec 6, 2006
lancaster sc
Ok so i still can use it. If i wasnt so brain dead I would remember,d as many times I went with my father when he worked for the ERIE. hell to get old

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
Dear Erie,
On close examination of the photo I noticed that there seems to be a bit of whitening around the perimeter of the decals. I wonder if you used a decal setting solution to make sure the decals rests fully against the body and contours, including the rivets? Make sure you use a setting fluid that is recommended by your decal manufacturer, and then apply a puddle over the decal. Use a straight pin to pierce the decal where you see pockets of air, and pierce the decal to allow the fluid to get underneath. The solution should soften the decal sufficiently that it will wrap itself around rivets and such and also become transparent to where the decal edges are hard to detect. Only after you are satisfied with the decals should you attempt to cover with Dullcoat.

-Ed