Remembrance Day Train

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by MasonJar, Nov 9, 2005.

1. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

See http://www.viarail.ca/en_index.html?tab=nouv for more information....

Apparently it's 40 cars (all sold out) travelling from Halifax to Ottawa for Remembrance Day ceremonies. Filled with veterans and their spouses. Due to arrive Ottawa Station at 12:30pm.

If you can make it, come out and show your support!

Andrew
  2. MasonJar

3. interurban

interurban Active Member

Thanks for the info Andrew, I do hope the weather is Kind for them.
    God bless them all.
  4. MasonJar

5. grumbeast

grumbeast Member

I was fortunate to watch the Veteran's day train as it passed through Truro yesterday at 1pm. It stopped at the station for over 10 minutes. I took a lot of photo's but I like slide film so they have to be developed.

It was quite an awesome thing to see. 3 locomotives and over 30 stainless steel budd cars. The locomotives we're at the extreme end of the station and the rest of the train blocked 3 grade crossings and was only about 5m short of blocking another! It was huge. I also really enjoyed waiving to all the Veterans, we had a piper at the station and many school children came out to watch. If you get a chance to see this remarkable train it is well worth it.

Graham
  6. MasonJar

7. siderod

siderod Member

I'm driving to Moncton on Sunday Morning to see the train (4 hour drive), and i'm planning on chasing it all the way home. I'll try to post pics here, and should have pics and a play-by-play on my website shortly there after.

AR
  8. siderod

siderod Member

Guys,
    Got about 2 dozen pics on my website. Link to the site is in my signature....go there, click the siderods and click on "VIA Veteran Train"

AR
  9. interurban

interurban Active Member

You did good Andrew.

Those are super photo`s
  10. siderod

siderod Member

Thanks, Chris! :D

11. MasonJar

Nice work Andrew! Good pic's and a really nice write-up as well.

Looking at those pictures makes me wonder if the golden age of rail travel is really over - that is quite a consist! And from what I understand it was completely sold out/full too... :)

Andrew
  12. siderod

siderod Member

Filled to capacity! They actually had to turn several hundred veterans away, which kinda annoyed me...it's a veterans train, forget the public, cram the train full of Vets!

The golden age of rail travel is over, sadly...however, passenger rail still exists, and i see it making a comeback. As strange as it may sound. I flew to Montreal a bit over a month ago, when gas was a tad below a buck a liter. The fuel surcharge was $40, and the two airport inprovement fees were $15 a piece. Each way! So, by the time i flew a round trip, i've paid out $140 in improvement fees alone! Add a round-trip ticket on top of that, and the train is lookin pretty good, especially for me, who doesn't like the ear-popping-eye-watering experiance one gets aboard an Aircraft.

AR