railroad video games

ding chavez

Jan 17, 2006
Philadelphia, Pa
since i have neither the space nor the money to make a layout at the moment, i was wondering if anyone here is into railroading on the computer, and if so, what are some good ones? i have a very new computer so it can handle pretty much anything.

i have microsoft train simulator 2004, that is ok, but id like more suggestions. preferably a game that is as close to model railroading or real life railroading as can be. thanks :wave:

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
I have railroad Tycoon. Not to bad. And you can zoom in and around the running trains. Pick up load of freight and take them to where they're needed etc. Build your railways across rivers, and tunnels. Select apporpriate locos for logging, or fast passengers etc.

Not too bad. :)

TOOT!!

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
I'd recommend TRAINZ Railroad Simulator 2006.

With TRS2006 you can create whole worlds with finely textured scenery, hundreds of structures, many types of track (standard gauge, 2ft & 3ft narrow gauge), hundred of pieces of rolling stock. Included are also complete layouts with 'scenarios', where you have to do a job as engineer.

From the internet you can download literally thousands of layouts, rolling stock, structures, bridges, tunnels, landscape textures and... and... and... I think there is much more second party stuff (most of it free) around than for the MS Train Simulator.

One word of caution: Perhaps you might find the older version TRS2004 for a bargain price. Don't buy it! Running it is a pain in the ***! :( :curse: Loading times are extremely slow and most of the time it is running very jerkily. The 2006 version has significant software improvements, resulting in higher frame rates. Also the new download manager works much better than the older one.

Ok, TRS2006 isn't exactly cheap (about $40), and it is a 'hardware hog' - but if you want to run trains (either in easy 'DCC mode' or realistic mode) and want to create your dream landscape with trains, this could be what you are looking for.

Here is the homepage of the TRAINZ makers. Hope this helps a bit!

Ron

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
I love RRT2 platinium, espically that wonderful music, and the locomotives, cars and buildings are almost completely based on HO scale models currently availble (If you don't believe me, PM me ;) ), which is kinda cool! :thumb: plus, the whole idea of creating a ficticious road, and seeing how I'd do in the "real" freight/passenger traffic world is cool too! I highly reccomend Railroad tycoon 2 platinium! :thumb: :)

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
I think that it isn't possible to say which one is better, TRAINZ or Railroad Tycoon. The two programs are completely different.

RR Tycoon is mainly a economy simulation - you have to do business to build up a prospering railroad company. And as an addition you can run some trains on your RR empire.

TRAINZ however is mainly a simulator to 1. run and operate realistically trains (you can also load and unload your freight cars, and you even can program other trains to creat more traffic!) and 2. to build whole landscapes with realistic scenery and railroads running through them.

So it depends, if you prefer modelling/operating, or if you like the simulation of the business side of a RR company.

- JVRR, the TRS2006 is about US$40 - perhaps you can get it cheaper somewhere.
- 77RAiler, IMO it pays to update from TRAINZ UTC to TRS2006, it is so much better. And you can import the layouts you have made or downloaded from UTC into TRS2006. :thumb:

Ron