Railroad ferry models?

TEP 60

May 1, 2005
Perhaps, anybody produces railroad ferries for sale in H0? A railroad ferry may also be simple, single- decked, for instance, for industrial purposes.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Walthers used to make a carfloat model but it is out of production--some hobby shops or online retailers might have some in stock.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3152

If you found one it wouldn't be too hard to add some marine-kit parts to make a powered ferry, like the Solano or the Ramon.
ramon-2.jpg

Here's the Ramon, which plied Suisun Bay along with the Solano. The difference is that the Ramon worked for the Sacramento Northern, an electric interurban, rather than a steam railroad.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I didn't really look at the description when I posted before so I didn't see that it was out of production. It just didn't look like something that could be used for American prototype. The standard barge is still available and looks like it could be used if someone didn't want to scratch build. I looked at your model, and I would scratch build. I like your model!

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
One of the Kalmbach trackplan books has an article on Cubicle railroads which includes one with a carferry. There are elevations and plans (though they are fairly small), but they acn be scaled up with a photocopier - I have a set of them for HO somewhere
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands