Rail feeders - Bus connection

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
I completed a major infrastructure project last night - installing a power / control bus and feeders to the rail. Up until this time, I simply had the command station attached to the rail in one place.

I chose to solder the feeders to the bus. When attached in this way, is it typical to insulate this connection?

While I don't mind soldering to the bus (although stripping is a pain), I'm certainly willing to try a "tap" into the bus. Are there taps that will accomodate a 12ga. bus and 22 - 24 guage feeders? The ones I've typicaly don't have such a large difference between the "tapped" and feeder side.

Thanks.

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
jwmurrayjr said:
The 14/18 AWG "tap-in" connectors will take wire smaller than 18AWG if you just double the wire back on itself before inserting it into the connector. Do you need 12 AWG? I'm not implying that you don't.:)

No, I don't NEED 12 AWG - but it's what I had on hand, so that's what got used... :D

Probably some of the "bigger is better" thinking going on there as well...

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Don't know about the taps, but I insulate where I solder feeds to the bus. I use a product called Liquid Tape. It is very thick, like tar. Comes with a brush on the cap, making the work go very quickly.

dwight77

Nov 30, 2004
n ft myers florida
Fluesheet: Stripping wire on a bus is a snap with the tool shown below. I am sure your local Northern Tool, Lowes, or Home Depot will have a similiar tool
Dwight77

Home >Hand Tools >Cutters > Item# 96751
pt_icon_seelargeimage.gif
See Larger Image
Gardner Bender Wire Cutter — 8in.

Ideal for stripping solid or stranded wire. Automatic jaw–loaded wire stripper self adjusts to strip wire. Crimps insulated, non–insulated and ignition terminals. #10–#26 AWG.
In Stock
Ship Wt. 1.0 lbs... Calculate Shipping
Item# 96751 Discount Price $14.99
110% Guaranteed Lowest Price!
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTELargeImageView?rfno=200304055&storeId=6970

dwight77

Nov 30, 2004
n ft myers florida
Fluesheet - the tool I showed a picture of is designed to strip inline. It has a clamping jaw and a sharp edge jaw. You place the wire so that the clamping jaw holds the wire in place and the sharp jaw splits the insulation and compresses it to the right on the wire. You only get a space of about 3/8" but it is plenty of space to wrap a feeder wire to and then solder.
dwight77