R7 Sputnik Korolyov Cross 1/200

P

Paper Kosmonaut

My first one here, I hope you like it.
This is my rendition of the Semyorka that brought Sputnik 1 into orbit while making a Korolyov Cross during staging.
The finished model will be placed on a picture frame showing an image of Baykonur I "stole" from the Google Earths. :rolleyes:
It's Lars Folmann's R7, downscaled to 1/200.
All parts have a brass rod inserted. I tweaked the business ends a bit and used some silver marker to colour them. A bit hard to see, but I used small its of single copper wire from an electrical cord to simulate Sputnik's antennae. Next time I'll try some close ups of the core booster.
Okay, that's it for now, thanks for looking!

P

Paper Kosmonaut

I tried some more shots of detailed bits of the R7.
The one with the base is just to give you a general idea of how the thing is going to look when finished. I still wonder how I made those vernier engines...Still got two more boosters to go.

P

Paper Kosmonaut

Well, it has to be placed upon something, of course, but perhaps my words weren't too well chosen. I am a bit of a Dutchman. (-;
Thanks for the kind words, by the way.
More to follow later this week!

P

Paper Kosmonaut

Well, the Sputnik has reached orbit. Here's the end result. I hope you like it.
Please let me know what you think of it!

Bye!:wave:

ovation

Jun 27, 2009
Most of my models are just sat on a shelf,I never thought of displaying them like that,
Very good.

JJ-UK

P

Paper Kosmonaut

Most of mine too, Ovation. But when you decrease the scale, it is much easier to put them in a kind of action display. And it makes the display a bit more vivid. However, much smaller than this will me make me lose my mind. (-;

Jean Paul CY

Jul 18, 2010
:cool:
Beautyfull ! I just find this thread of your Semyorka from Baïkonour!!! thanks for the pictures ! It 's a very instructive diorama ! I generaly built my models in 1/96 scale but it's a good idea to underscale them into 1/200 to make these space scenaries ! even details are off ! they are not static ! it's good for undersanding !:thumb:

P

Paper Kosmonaut

Yes! And that's exactly why I made this one (and the Saturn V in 1/565). I wanted to see how it looked when the staging is in progress.
As said above, most of my rockets just stand on the shelf looking ready to launch but they do not show any energy. I kind of like tinkering with the model to let them show themselves in action.
And, besides that, smaller scale means more space on the shelves. :mrgreen:
Thanks for the kind words.

Greenman

Nov 12, 2008
Salt Lake City,Utah.
I love your display techniques! very innovative and, as you say, full of action. Have you considered a display of payload or space craft separation? Vostok, Soyuz, Mercury...?

P

Paper Kosmonaut

Thanks! And as far as the display series, (if you want to call it a series..) I also did a Saturn V staging its first stage and the interstage, and recently the Saturn 1 SA-5 in the process of staging. I have plans for more action loaded scenes :twisted:. But there's a lot to be built and I don't know when there will be a next display as such. After Sojourner's adventures I now am building a 1/48th Voyager 1 probe. What will happen after that, has yet to be decided.