Question!

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Larry. The only expierence I had was two lifelike SD 7's I got off E Bay. They had the decoder installed by a train shop and when I received them I tried them on a test track. They would not run. I had to take the decoders out and rewire them before they ran properly.

I have seen other post where it was mentioned that some engines that were decoder equiped or had the plug in for decoders would run both ways but I have not seen any myself.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Larry, No easy answer here. Digitrax decoders will run on Dc, unless someone has programmed them not to. These are the only ones I have first hand experience with. I have several Soundtrax decoders, but never tried them on DC, I have read that they do not work on DC. Likewise, the one NCE decoder I have has never been tried with DC. Perhaps others can say for sure.

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Larry,
A Digitrax decoder comes set from the factory to change automatically from DDC to DC. You can change CV29 to turn that function on or off. I don't know about the other manufacturer's decoders.
Marty