Question on Pick-ups and Set-outs

Discussion in 'Model Rail Operations' started by Gary S., Mar 18, 2007.

1. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

That's what I am learning:)

2. IandOFan71

IandOFan71 Member

You are indeed thinking like a real railroader. I never worked for the railroad but a friend of mine did and we operated his layout just like the real thing or at least as close as possible. If I was out of line with a switching move he let me know and showed me how to do it properly. I learned a lot from him and use a lot if that on my layout today.
    I feel your pain with the turnout alignment. I did that on this guys layout during an operating session for our model railroad club. I finished my switching and had just started to highball when I realized a second to late that the switch wasn't aligned and I proceeded to dump the whole train onto a concrete floor. It was no where near my worst disaster but definately the most embarassing. I did however manage to get a few laughs because my friend modeled the Penn Central, so after the crash I said, "hey it's PC, I was just trying to operate like the prototype!".:)
  3. IandOFan71

IandOFan71 Member

Brakie, I see your a Hocking Valley fan. Do you have the new HV book? If not you should really get it.

Tyler
    (IandOFan71)
  4. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Nice story! Thanks everyone for the input. I'm sure I will have tons of other questions in the weeks to come.

And, for those of you who haven't tried the operations aspect of railroading, you should give it a try.
  5. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

Andrew,

I think having the stock cars directly behind the engine minimizes any shocks the livestock might receive from slack-action in the couplers.

Maybe Brakie could comment on this?

It probably also dliutes the smell received by the tail-end crew... the head end won't notice as long as the train's moving! ;)
  6. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Squid - I am sure there are pros and cons of every position. I guess CN felt that the head-end position won out, and so wrote it into the rules...

And the head end won't notice as long as the train is moving...

forward...! ;) :D

Andrew