Question about track

How do you tell the different codes in track...I keep hearing and reading about Code 100, code 80, code 55, but what is the acual difference and how can you tell from a piece of track what the code is? Any help out there would help me out drastically.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
I seriously considered this when I started developing my layout. I thought code 55 would be way too short, and while code 83 is more accurate, code 100 is only 0.02 inches taller, and a *LOT* easier to find in the city. So . . . . . .

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Rail Codes

WVRR:
It's not just the OLD stuff that objects to the lower rail. Our operating group has a couple of recent President's Choice sets (for the rest of the world, I think they're AHM or Rivarossi) that bump down the code 70 and, if the ties are spaced right, sit up on the flanges and don't move at all.

I don't have a micrometer, so the only way I can tell rail sizes is by comparing to one that I know.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The code 70 can interchange with other track, you just need to use some sort of adaptor to join the code 70 to larger or smaller rail. It is quite common to see different size rail on the prototype. Usually the mainline will have larger/heavier rail than the yard, and some industrial spurs may have lighter rail yet. Code 100 is oversize for anything but the heaviest rail used on heavy duty mainline tracks. Code 83 is probably a good scale size for mainlines, and code 70 would look good for industry sidings and spurs.