question about image compression......

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
trainsteve2435 said:
hey everyone, can someone tell me what program to use to compress .jpegs so i can post them here on the forum? thanks!:thumb:
Steve,

I just posted a how-to on what you need to do to compress, or decrease the quality of the photo in order to resize it. I use PhotoPlus normally, but just about any photo editing program will do. I got Photoimpact for free with my scanner, and have some other one that I got free with my camera. There's also a few free ones on the web. Go to Cnet.com's download section and I'm sure you'll find some there. I'll check around and make a few more recommendations if you still need help.

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
Steve,

I've had several programs which can do image resize but my hands-down favorite is "Paint Shop Pro-7" by Jasc Software.

Instead of stretching and skewing I can simply pick the number of pixels for width or height and the other will be automatically selected.

After I get the width I can see what the height will be. If it's too much I can go in and crop the picture until it fits exactly to the requirement of where I have to post it.

Some boards have strict requirements like 400 X 300 or it won't take the picture.

My Nikon 5700 takes pictures 2500 pixels wide so I always have to resize down to 600 or less for e-mail or posting. I keep the original image and make a copy to a separate "Resize" file and then shrink the copy.

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Hi, Steve, if you are using WinXP, simply double click the photo, the "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" should show your photo, then click the small floppy icon at the bottom and in the "Save as Type" box select jpg, then hit "Save".

As Dan syas, always keep the original saved separately.