proto 2k reviews needed

RaiderCTE

Jan 11, 2001
charlotte,NC
www.raidercte.netfirms.com
I have had to sell off a couple athearn sd-40's because they were to hard to keep on some of my tight curves. I am looking at the Proto 2000, gp 30's. How do proto 2k's run compared to an athearn? motor noise, and reliablity are what i am looking to improve if possible without breaking the bank. thanks ahead of time.

Ben H

Nov 22, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
GP30 -- I have a couple -- one equiped with DCC and they have both been excellant. Quiet runners more so than the older Atherns. Good puller and can handle my one 18 radius curve fine.

Durning layout construction I had them running on some temp curves and if they didn't handle 17 " radius at all.

In HO scale even 18" is pushing the limits in my view, but I had to do that in one area.

With regular maintence they are a fine engine.

RaiderCTE

Jan 11, 2001
charlotte,NC
www.raidercte.netfirms.com
re

that's were my problem is. I have a couple tight 18" turns on inclines. After laying the track and roadbed, I tested, then tweaked. Everything was ok. I then did some work to filling in between tracks for the base of scenery. Went back and had to adjust again because of either the roadbed or incline was not constant, had a half a millimeter dip. I went back adjusted again and tested. I ran the trains for more than couple hours with out any problems. Next I did the ballasting. Now back to the same problem same places. I made sure the rails were clean but it is the same as before. I have a couple GP 50's that do fine the way it is and I am just don't want to rip up that track and ballasting just for it to happen down the road. So I'm selling my sd's on ebay and I have my eye on a proto 2k gp 30. I have a couple GP 50's that don't have a problem. One Athearn and one Atlas.

Lackawanna Jim

Nov 27, 2002
NJ
Visit site
Hey Raider; I like those P2K GP30's... They run nice & quiet and the detail is phenomenal - scale handrail diameters! Plus, you can probably get a pretty good deal on em...

Jim

Rusted

Oct 30, 2002
Mankato, MN
Visit site
No advice on the 30's but I run 3 2K SD60s - I have a couple of really tight curves on the back 40 of a yard - they handle them great.

How do they run? I continually find myself picking them for "fun" runs over some more expensive power. I love them.

clumber

I would generally avoid any six axle diesels on curves this tight, especially on an incline. I have a P2K E6A and that will negotiate 18" radius curves but the B unit will not!
Generally P2K units are just fine and the GP7 / 9 / 30 are good for changing over to DCC (I have 15 of them on an extended 4' x 8' layout!).
Brian

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
raider,Those GP30s are fine runners and good lookers to boot.I will hit on one thing very lightly,these engines are slow runners so please don't expect a rocket on rails as some modelers do.