Problems with Bachmann 3 truck shay

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Thought you might like to know of a problem that has just started with my shay, Motor runs, but not the wheels, GREAT EH. Emailed Bachmann about it, waiting for reply, will let you know.

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Shamus,sorry to hear of this woe.
frown.gif

Shamus, I've had a similar problem some years ago with a Bachmann Niagara, and a Mantua (junk brand) Camelback.

The solution for the Bachmann was to take the entire thing apart and reassemble it. The fix-it man at the club at that time said this was his SOP. From his trouble-shooting experience, he claimed that about seven out of ten times, you will not find anything out of order, yet the mechanism will function without any trouble once reassembled.

The Niagara was mysteriously cured this way. We tried that with the Camelback and it failed, and I must send it out for repair. The Camelback has a worm drive, and the motor doesn't seem to line up correctly with the drive gear.

Let's hear what the manufacturer says. Do you have a competent Bachmann authorized service centre available nearby?

George.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi George,
No, it's got to go all the damn way back to the USA from here in the UK.
Be months before I get it back. Two gears are out of mesh, not the worm.
Throughly P****d off.
redface.gif

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Samus , Linn Austin , my Friend who has the Clover Valley R/R has a Bachmann Shay apart right now to convert it to ON30. I'll bet the problem is whatever they use as a coupler between the motor & drive or the drive gear slipping on the crankshaft. I have not seen the transmission set up so I don't know but I'll call him & see what he can tell me about it so you will know where to look . ----Dave

------------------
L V Dave

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Shamus, which 2 ,must be the idler & the crank gear if nothing moves,should be a lateral adjustment. I'm winging this , based on the drive in my Beaver Creek Willamatte Shay, Linn isn't home to relay how his is set up.------Dave

------------------
L V Dave

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Dave, don't fancy taking it apart, it would invalidate the guarantee. I suspect that the drive gear is slipping on the crankshaft. Looking at it underneath when powered up, the gears revolve but not the wheels.

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
I understand your hesitation. I do know that the crank is a two piece affair that probably press's into the gear from both sides, this arrangement could very easily become a major problem for Bachmann. If I had one I think possibly to use a hi output (350 +watt) resistance solderer & secure the assy. to insure no reocurrance would be my approach. But on the other hand I don't know too ,any other people,outside of Linn & myself that will butcer up a & rehash new brass or plastic locos the day we get them. You are correct it is hard on the warranty. As well known as you are ,Shamus , do you Know anybody at Bachmann? Perhaps a Phone call could jar loose an exchange that could be shipped at once? Worth a try.----Dave

------------------
L V Dave

Shay2

Feb 12, 2001
Ohio, USA
trainster.20m.com
OUCH....Shamus I share your frustration.

During my short HO career of just over a year, I've heard very few comments that were good about any Bachmann product. The positive statements you provided regarding the Shay, with all its drivetrain gearing and couplings, gave me reason to believe they finally had their act together and were making a great product!
Well, I guess I'm glad I waited to buy and I do appreciate your letting us know what's going on with yours.
Finally, If their is anything any of us here in the states can do to help expedite/remedy the situation, please let us know.

Rich

------------------
Rush Run River Logging Co.

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
I echo Rich's offer, shamus. Let me know if I can help in any way; phone calls on your behalf, ( I have a nickle a minute Long Distance carrier..way cheaper than from Enland, I'd guess)or ???.
I hope they will expidite repairing it for you.
VGN

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Poor Shamus!

Next time you buy one of those bloody "Foreign" units, you'd best run it for a few months before adorning it with one of your wonderful paint schemes.
smile.gif

We're here for you friend, whatever help you need. Perhaps you should keep the shell and return the mechanism, demanding a new mechanism?

I guess for now all we can all do with you is wait to see what Bachmann offers to correct the situation?

George.

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
It sure makes you wish that ROCO made more North American locomotives. Nobody ever had to file a gear on one of them after it left the factory.

George.