poll - modeling interests - locale

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
In H0 this would be a line length of only 14 meters or 46 ft, in N only 7.5 meters / 25 ft. So it really could be modelled in its whole length without using up a whole gym.
Also the turntable wouldn't take away too much room on the layout - I love it! :D :thumb:

This seems to be a very well preserved little tourist line.

Ron

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Yep, great little concept.Another i recently ran into was the first railroad to get a charter in north America.Built in Quincy Massachusets It was called the Granite Railway and was built in 1826 on 5' gauge track.
It was 3 miles long and was built to haul ranite from the quarries to the mill.It also had an incline railway to get the stone up out of the quarry.This would be an interesting modeling project if it were set later in the century.Much of the stone that built our nations capital and mouments came from this railroad line.
Heres a link to a bit more on this unique little shortline.
http://www.catskillarchive.com/rrextra/abnegr1.Html

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Well, I decided to model a ficticious road based on reality in Northern Michigans upper peenninsula keenawa and houghton counties.
It just has more to offer with lumbering and copper mining.
I havent set an exact date as I an still researching. It will likely be somewhere between 1909 and 1924 (logging was at its extreme tail end in 24 with most of the good white pine gone.there was still some pulp being cut however and being shipped to mills in wisconsin.
I'll have a wharf and a connection with the DSS&A for interchange(although the DSS&A is going to fall very short on acreage here ;)

toolman

Mar 23, 2005
east brunswick nj
My layout is loosely base on an industrial area in central nj present day. I live quite close to a secondary line which is the old Camden and Amboy rr now being shared by csx, ns, cr. This secondary is quite active. The scale I am doing is ho.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The Sag Harbor Shipbuilding & Drydock Co. still operates a 3' gauge, steam powered industrial line, with a connection to the harbor area, and a transfer point with the Sagaponack Montauk & Cindys Harbor (a wholly owned subsidiary). SHS&D also owns Shinnecock Hills Lumber Co. , and the 30" gauge Wiscasset, Bucksport, and Schoodic Point. In other words, northeast.